Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Hello, I have been using an apple iphone 4s for some time.

Customer Question

Hello, I have been using an apple iphone 4s for some time. It's charging port became dysfunctional and I was encouraged by my phone supplier, vodaphone, to purchase an iphone 5C, before the data in the older phone's address book had been transferred out. The symcard on the new phone is working and I am online to get data from the web or from icloud. But the symcard on the old phone has been disabled. The old phone has now been repaired so I have access to its contact list which is essential. How do I get this contact list into the new phone? I know that I could back the old phone up through itunes and then upload from itunes to the new phone. But the contact list in my computer, which would route the itunes upload, is old and outdated and I don't know how to restrict itunes use to the list from the old iphone to the new one. Can you help?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What version of windows or mac is on your computer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still using mac 10.6.8 as I tried uploading maveric a while ago and it stalled. So I don't have icloud connecting through the computer.

There is another issue. I am busy with a book that I'm writing using the computer, macbook pro, due for submission to publishers shortly. I'm trying to keep technical questions to a minimum so decided to defer uploading maveric until after submission. All I need for now is a solution to the smartphone problem.

My address book loaded on the computer is with Outlook and if I connect the new smartphone using itunes, it will upload all kinds of . redundant data. What can you recommend? John

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I recommend updating the address book in iTunes with your old iPhone. The easiest way to do that is to delete all but one or two of the contact in iTunes before ever connecting the iPhone. Then connect the old iPhone and make sure to Sync contacts. Make sure you've checked on the Info Pane to sync contacts with Address Book & to sync all. If you get a merge or replace prompt, select MERGE.

Once you have done that you should only have one set of contacts without the redundancy. Sync the new iPhone with iTunes and it should have all the contacts the old iPhone had on it. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy, Thanks for this guidance. It's what I feared. There is no shortcut. I will edit the old contact/address book on the computer later tonight when time is not at such a premium, and then go through the procedure you advise. I will confirm tomorrow morning that all went well. I trust your continuing advice will be available online for the same payment, until the problem is resolved? Thanks, John

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Don't worry John as long as you come back to this page you will not be charged again. You can get back here by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top. Please note I am in the USA so our time difference may cause me not to be able to respond as soon as you post. But I will as soon as I can.
.