Viet-Smartphone Tech
Viet-Smartphone Tech, Smartphone Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot issues with smartphones.
30037186

Hi, I have been told by my laptop that my new Samsung Galaxy

Hi, I have been told by my laptop that my new Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 mobile phone lacks a driver and it sent me to the Samsung website for help. The website asked me for the name and model no of the phone but the name doesn't seem to be listed on its website and I have no idea how to find out the model number
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Viet-Smartphone Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or 8.1?

Can we do a remote session, so we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I changed my email as it wouldn't accept my usual one - this is why my answer is delayed

I have two laptops, a windows 8 which is too sophisticated for me and which I can barely use but when I tried the phone's composite USB lead it started installing something called Cloud Drive

I had already tried to set up the USB on my other older windows 7 laptop which was only able to download photos, although I was surprised it could do that as the installer had said it wasn't properly installed although I assumed once I'd tried on windows 8 that this was because the laptop was pre-Cloud Drive

Camilla

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I have windows 8.1 and I'm just checking to see if the other is 7 or vista

You're welcome. Can you please download and install the USB driver at the website below:

http://tinyurl.com/pgskonc

(If the above website does not work, then try https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bw8B2a85Qa1jTXZSSEs4WkRtU1k)

If that does not work, can you download and install the Samsung Kies software, and check:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, the first link you recommended seemed to download OK and so I plugged in the phone's USB cord again and it is doing the same thing as before, searching through Windows updates - is this right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When the laptop finished the search it said that everything was downloaded OK but I've tried to open files as I did before and when I open the memo files a message comes up saying 'This program does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed create an association in the Default Programs control panel' - I've gone into this but I'm not sure how to set the default

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, is everything OK? It's late at night here in the UK - I would have liked to ask this question tomorrow - I would be very grateful if you could reply ASAP - or perhaps it would be possible to postpone the session? Many thanks

I'm sorry, after downloading it, did you open it in order to install?

We can continue right now if you are available; if not, then we can continue tomorrow. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it would be much easier if we could continue tomorrow! Tomorrow evening at around 9pm would be good for me - this is 1pm your time if you are in the States / California if this is convenient

Yes, 1PM my time / 9PM your time is fine with me. And/or you can also try the following first whenever you have time:

Download and install the Samsung Kies software at the website below and use it to transfer data from phone to computer:

Good night! Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's great - thank you!

You're welcome. Please reply back to me at the box below tomorrow. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I clicked on the Kies link you gave me but I'm sorry, I'm not sure which of the two categories my phone falls into - whether it's Kies or Kies 3

However I've discovered the model number of my phone, if that's useful, it's GT-S7275R

I'm not sure how to action a live chat but it would be fine to do that (or is this it?)

With many thanks

You're welcome. Thank you for providing the model. Please download and install the Samsung Kies (not Kies 3) at the website below:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/GT-S7275UWNBTU

; there, scroll down the page a bit as needed, then click on "Download for Windows"

, then use the Kies program to transfer/download photos, etc.

If needed, I will set up a live remote session. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for this, I think the download is almost complete - it has asked a question whether to install additionally video conversion code (ticked) and Unified Driver Installer (not ticked) - would you advise both?

You're welcome. Yes, please install / tick both video conversion code and Unified Driver Installer. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's great - should I also install the MyFreeCodePack 1.0 Beta?

Yes, install MyFreeCodePack 1.0 Beta also. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Kies seems to have downloaded fine and upgraded and so I plugged in the USB cable which is doing the same as before! - searching through the Windows updates without apparently being aware that it was installed properly yesterday. It's installing the device driver software - will it do this each time? It hasn't linked in automatically to the Kies. This has taken a while but it wouldn't allow me to skip it

Is this because I wasn't able to provide it with the model number? Is there a way of adding it?

Also my phone is showing a message saying that it's unable to find software on my PC that can recognise the device and recommending downloading Kies

There was a firmware upgrade that could have taken up to half an hour and looked a bit scary with a lot of warnings - so I've postponed this

Many thanks!

You're welcome. Do you see the phone device in Computer now when connecting it to the computer? Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've just seen a Kies page with the box to be ticked for syncing information - perhaps that was what was needed?

Great, that looks good; tick photos, and whatever you want to sync/transfer to computer. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid it doesn't seem to have worked - the Kies page said it would work next time I connected the cable so I took out the cable and reconnected it but the new Kies page seems unable to connect to the phone - there is a bar saying 'connecting' without being able to do so

I'm sorry. Make sure you are logged in the phone, then swipe down from the top of the phone, and see if it asks you to do anything. If needed, close Kies program, then re-open it and check.

If that does not work, please disconnect the phone from the computer, then close the Kies program. Then connect the phone to the computer and make sure you are logged in the phone, then open Computer (This PC; open a folder, then click on Computer or This PC, etc. at the left), and see if the phone is shown there, then open it and check. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just wondered - my laptop (which is a back up travel laptop) is an Inspiron Mini 1012 - could there be an issue with its limitations? I'll try all your recommendations

No, it should not have any limitation. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I just sent an answer saying that I couldn't check texts or phone calls but this page isn't listing my reply - was it sent?

Sorry, I don't see any new reply from you. Please type again at the box below. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sure - everything seems to have synced fine but there are only seem to be categories for checking photos and contacts, not all the other things like texts and phone calls - how do I see these backed up?

Unfortunately, Kies do not back up everything. But you can use some free apps on the phone for backing up these:

- SMS Backup + (text and call logs)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&hl=en

More details:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/10518/android-how-can-i-backup-sms-mms-and-call-logs-to-gmail/

- Another app:
Super Backup : SMS & Contacts (text & call logs)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts&hl=en

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually it's said it's backed up everything but would this only appear if I lost the information and had to restore it? Ie it's not something I can check like photos and contacts but it's there anyway if needed? It looks as if it could all be restored

Click on your phone device, then you should see the Backup/Restore option at the top in the Kies program.

Click on Photos , Contacts, etc. on the left, in order to view them. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I wonder if I could just check one further thing tomorrow which is the firmware upgrade - I can't do this currently as it's getting a bit late here but also my phone has to be fully charged.

There's no need to make an appointment but I wonder if I can contact you tomorrow if there are any issues with the upgrade or if I have any further queries - that would be great

With many thanks for your help this evening

You're welcome. If your phone is working fine, then you don't need to update the firmware. You can get back to me tomorrow via this web page as needed. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh, I think I've misunderstood what this means - I assumed it was like an update - what does upgrade the firmware mean?

With firmware update, it may provide new interface/look, new features, fixes some bugs. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh, that's fine - thank you!

You're welcome. If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking on a face icon / service option above, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's great - thank you very much