Ashik
Ashik, Smartphone Tech
Experience:  Experience with iPhone and other Smartphones
16433418

Not a duplicate q. I have an iPhone 4S which

For Ashik only,not a duplicate q. I have an iPhone 4S which wasn't locked to any particular carrier (in the UK), and I changed to a new carrier (GiffGaff / O2) here in the UK, with a new simcard.
Everything worked OK until it asked me to upgrade to the latest o/s (from memory, 9.2). To do this I had to remove all images (which had been backed up) to create space for the new o/s software.
This appeared to be a routine o/s upgrade, however, the 'phone now requires a passcode, which it didn't need previously. I tried the passcode which I'd used when the 'phone was on the previous carrier, plus 5555 and 6666 (the new carrier's default codes), plus 0000. However, none of these gives me access.
I'm probably nearing the point where the iPhone will lock (security protection).
Is there any way I can use the iPhone without a total delete? I have a backup on iTunes.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard, It seems like you didn't get my answer to the previous question. So here it is again. It would ask you to setup a passcode after the upgrade. You probably accidentally setup a passcode after the upgrade. I'm really sorry that your iPhone is locked. Unfortunately there is NO way to retrieve that passcode or get back to your phone without the passcode (without erasing it). Your only option is force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users. But since you have a backup on iTunes, you can restore your iPhone to that backup after restoring the software. Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode. First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here (ignore if you already have latest iTunes) --> https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.Open iTunes application on your computer.On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.Click OK or Restore Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it. Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining) Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik, many thanks for your very comprehensive answer.

Actually, I didn't reset any password, so not sure what happened there.

I will follow your instructions to restore from my iTunes backup, and report back to you tomorrow (Monday).

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome. Not sure what happened then. You have to restore the software of your iPhone first from iTunes and then you can restore the backup. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. Best Regards,Ashik
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm still working on this, and will report back tomorrow, as I may have some questions.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, Smartphone Tech
Experience: Experience with iPhone and other Smartphones
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik, this worked fine - many thanks for your help.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm very glad to hear that.
If you want to ask me directly in the future, add "For Ashik" at the beginning of your question and it will reach me directly. Thank you !
Happy New Year,
Ashik