Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

My lumnia 650 doesn't show my Hotmail address under "Outlook

my lumnia 650 doesn't show my Hotmail address under "Outlook Mail" but it exists in settings, e-mail accounts
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Hi, is it possible that the inbox are linked?Open Outlook Mail and tap the three dots on the lower right cornerTap Manage accountsTap Link inboxesChoose the accounts to unlink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't have that option
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to get into the Manage accounts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
through settings option, yes
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
hmm... Have you tried to restart the phone since you noticed this issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, do you switch off ?
sorry, power off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done that, still not there
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
I will allow others to answer this. Not sure what the problem is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I notice that when I use my Microsoft account and view the e-mails it shows a different server; dub122.mail.live.com
would that be correct
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.Apparently, you have a Microsoft email account with the domain name live.com and a Hotmail email account with the domain name hotmail.com. Your smartphone is registered under your live.com email account. The two accounts will use different servers. In fact, each email account has two servers: an incoming server and an outgoing server.
I do not have a Windows phone; consequently, I do not know exactly what your email applications are. Do you have both a Microsoft email app and an Outlook Mail email account? In what account does your Hotmail address exist? Are you able to use it? Or do you want to add it to your Outlook Mail account so that you can use it? If I can understand your problem, I believe that I can help you, because I know a lot about email accounts. I just do not know a lot about your smartphone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Microsoft account to register and use Office 365, I have had a Hotmail.com e-mail address for may years. My mobile has Windows 10 with an app called Outlook Mail. I've been able to add my Gmail account and that works but even though I have added my Hotmail account, it won't display it when I tap the Outlook app
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I reset the phone back to factory settings and start again?
Thank you for your more detailed problem description. There is nothing wrong with your phone, and it does not need to be reset to factory settings. I think that your Outlook app will display your hotmail account if it is configured correctly. But it cannot display your gmail and your hotmail at the same time. You need to select the settings icon (three horizontal bars) within your Outlook app and then select your account icon to switch between email accounts. After we get your hotmail working on your outlook account, it would be a good idea for your to download the specialized gmail app from the Microsoft store and separate the accounts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I've deleted my gmail account, added my Hotmail.com account, screen now says "not synced yet" how do I do that?
Now exit from Outlook and go to the general Settings > Accounts on your phone and select your Outlook > Settings and select Sync Settings for your hotmail account. Put a tic in the check box for Sync Email.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't have that option, in Hotmail account screen shows currently syncing: as items arrive, server name server requires encryption(SSL) connection and sync options email which is on
What are the names, encryption types, and port numbers of your incoming and outgoing servers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do I find this info please?
You mentioned the server name and server requires encryption on the Hotmail account screen. You should be able to either select those items or select More Settings to find where those settings are configured and displayed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the server is just a box with dub405-m.hotmail.com
serer requires encryption is jut a checked box no other options
You have to be able to configure the incoming and outgoing server. That is how you establish an account. If you have not done that when added the hotmail account to your Outlook app, it may have been configured automatically.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where will this be found on the phone?
In the Outlook app under Advanced Settings or More Settings or Account Settings or Server Settings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all I can find is under advanced settings under internet email account where this info is required
Okay. Look for it there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all fields are blank
What is your hotmail address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You may be using Exchange Active Sync (EAS), which only has one server, which you specified above as dub405-m.hotmail.com.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does that mean please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I have my email open on my pc. it does say exchange active sync on there
Okay, that is confirmed. Now, back to the last question, which is how to get your email to sync. You just have to search the menus, either under general settings on your phone outside of the outlook app, or possibly under settings within the outlook app.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I've found an option "exchange ActivSync" when I open fields are blank but the first one is asking for an e-mail address, do I put my e-mail address there?
Then what comes next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
password, then username, is this field required as I don't think I have one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
next field is Domain, then next is Server
Password ***** ***** password. Username is ***** ***** email address (again).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Domain ?
Domain is hotmail.com. Server is your server name, which you said was dub405-m.hotmail.com.
The information seems repetitive, but there are a lot of different variations of hotmail.com and outlook.com and live.com domains, so they need the information repeated in the various different fields.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, server requires encryption is checked, hen asking for Account name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry then asking for
You can either use your full email address or you can just name ii Hotmail Account, or anything else that you prefer.
For future reference, are you doing this within the Outlook app or in Account Settings under general settings on your smartphone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the outlook app ok, clicked sign in and it says account already exists ?? won't allow me to sign in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to delete the account I set up before?
Well, then that means that it was already done automatically. It also confirms that we have the correct information and that we know the account type. You can cancel out of that. Keep the account you set up before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but when I go to outlook mail app no account is displayed it wants me to set one up
But you said that you entered your hotmail account in your outlook app. What did you do and how did you do it? Maybe you should delete it, if you do not know how you set it up. Then you can set it up manually, like yo just did.
Or you can delete it and add it again and let set it up again automatically. But tell me exactly what information you enter this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can't delete it
Can you delete it under general settings, outside of Outlook?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can't find option anywhere
Can you describe how you added it originally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Opened Outlook Mail app, asks to Add account, tapped, then several options available: Outlook.com, Exchange, Google etc
Chose Outlook,com, Entered e-mail address, entered password, tapped return. few seconds later screen says all done.
Doesn't appear in Outlook Mail app again. only place to find it is in settings > accounts > e-mail and accounts and there it is displayed. Tap it and a button "Manage" appears, tap that and 2 options 1) change mailbox sync settings 2) change account settings. if select option 1; 1st field download content (entered a items arrive) 2nd field Download email from (entered anytime) 3rd field Server (already displays dub405-m.hotmail.com then there is a checked box that says server requiring encrypted (SSL) connection finally Sync Options where the selection is Email = On
I got it. Those settings are correct What happens when you select Option 2) Change Account Settings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
goes online to my microsoft account and displays My name and e-mail address, option to view e-mails as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a works mobile with my Hotmail address on, the server on that is just m.hotmail.com
You are missing something here. You said that you selected your hotmail account and had two options for that account. Option 2) should not take you to your Microsoft account. That should be higher up in the menu hierarchy, where you select either the Microsoft account or the Hotmail account. I want Hotmail account, Option 2) Change Account Settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is nothing else
That is a definite problem, if you select your hotmail account and it only allows you to access your Microsoft account. Maybe it is time to do a factory reset on your phone. I think the operating system is corrupted. You cannot delete your hotmail account, and you cannot access it to change it or display it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, i'll do that tomorrow morning as it's 22:20hrs here and I need to do some chores before bed. thanks for your assistance, can I let you know tomorrow the outcome?
Sure. I would appreciate that. I will be here to follow through on your problem. You can access this conversation by selecting he link in your notification email. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Goodnight
Copy that.
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joel,
Reset the phone to factory settings last night. This morning switched it on, usual initial set-up, then I was asked to add my Microsoft Account, took the option to do it later. Into Outlook Mail, added my Hotmail account and "Bingo!" it was there with all my recent emails. Great News and it had also set-up my Outlook Calendar. It had also added all my contacts, which I thought was weird as they all exist on my company mobile! Also set up my "One Drive" and "Facebook" in seconds.
I'd like to thank you for all your assistance and patience over the last couple of days.
Once again, many thanks
Kind regards,
Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,That is good to hear. Let's hope that your Microsoft account sets up successfully as well. It is good to know that your Hotmail account backed up all your contacts and calendar. You must have your Hotmail setup on your company mobile phone too. I have an Android phone and my calendar and contacts get backed up by my gmail account, but I get questions about Outlook, so it is good to know.You are welcome for your acknowledgement of the service. Thank you for the excellent rating. An thank you for choosing Just Answer.Best regards,Jole
Joel