Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Software expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have a new version of Skype which I dislike and would like

Customer Question

I have a new version of Skype which I dislike and would like to download an older version.

How do I do this ?
Category: Software
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Chris and I will be happy to assist you.

How are you trying to download the old version? You said that your computer refuses to accept, can you please explain what you mean by that?

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I download the old version, I find the old version is not acceptable to Skype and cannot use. So leave me no alternative but to use the newer version.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok I think you may be doing something wrong, you should be able to download and install the old version no problem.

In order to give you instructions I need to know which operating system you are using, are you using windows xp, vista, 7, or maybe 8 or is this a mac?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

windows XP

Note when I download the old version, Skype automatically stops me using the old version

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Are you uninstalling the new version before you install the old one?

Also where are you downloading the old one from?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I uninstall the new version and download the old (the old version is being saved on my computer as an download icon).

When the old is downloaded I find I cannot go any further until Skype is automatically downloaded into the new version

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok , by the way you definitley used to be able to do this so skype may have changed recently.

Are you saying that when you start the installation of the old version, skype automatically updates to the latest version with no option to not do this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Exactly-I do not like the new version and wants to go back to the old.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok I just went through the process and I was able to install the old version. See picture below.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Please do the following.

Uninstall the latest version.

Go to http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php and click the green down arrow next to Skype 5.10.0.116

Once the download finishes start the install.

It should just install and allow you to log in and begin using it.

If you have trouble let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Done as instructed.

Uninstall new version of skype

Went to version 5.10.0.116 tried to download and comes up with "Access denied ESET Smart security, potentially dangerous content"

Incidentally, my old version is 3.6.0248 a little further down the list but same message comes up as above.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok so your antivirus is blocking the download. Also this is the oldest version I can find, 3.6.0248 is not available.

You need to allow eset to download.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the old version downloaded as a file. When I download the old version, enter my name and password, skype cannot connect.

If I am to download version 5.10.0.116, as you say, I have to ask eset to download -which I do not know how.

It seems at the end of the day, Skype wants everyone to OBEY !

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Well that is true, most software companies will force updates, especially with a free product like skype.

If you would like I can try and do a remote desktop session with you to get 5.10.0.116 to install but that is the oldest verision I can do.

Otherwise I am afraid you will need to use the new one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok if you decide you would like me to try and install that version for you just let me know.

Thanks,
Chris