Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Technician
Experience:  Software not running correctly or installing? I can solve any issues software related within minutes, Simple, Fast, and Friendly
62669195

I have had windows 7 for 18+ months working on my computer.

Customer Question

I have had windows 7 for 18+ months working on my computer. Today Word has decided that I need to pay for the privilege of accessing my documents in 'My Documents'. I tried to 'restore' the computer to an earlier time as I assume that I should be able to access my files forever. Now Windows will not load. I have tried each of the four options it gives me when I start the computer. On this computer I have a web only button which means that I can download 'remedies' to a memory stick but I don't seem to be able to access or open them. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Software
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name is Jeremy, I would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

A lot of times Microsoft Office comes pre-installed on the computer as a limited trial. When this happens it will let you use it for a certain amount of time then try to force you into buying the application.

If you purchased Office however a re-install will correct this issue using the Office CD.

I do however have a really great suggestion for you.

You can install Open Office which is brand new, is near identical to office, and more compatible, it's always up-to-date. Also it's 100% free.

I along with pretty much everyone of my customers prefers Open Office over Office .

Here is what you need to do to install it

http://tinyurl.com/jeremyoo4

Click the link above. A download will begin. It will ask if you want to run or save. Choose Run

Follow the prompts to complete the installation. Once installed you will notice an Open Office icon

About the only difference you will notice is that Open Office uses different names for the applications. (example: Word is called Writer Excel is called Calc, etc)

It also is compatible with Office 2013 and older versions of office. This program is absolutely perfect for you to write drafts, letters and advanced projects if you ever needed to (spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations, etc).

If you ever have any questions on open office you can reply to me anytime and i'll help you in any way I can

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated)

Register Here
(To rate my help click the smiley faces below then press the submit button)

Also if you need any computer help in the future, you can return to this chat anytime day or night (I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience

Jeremy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi jeremy, i don't know what's happening with this but it only seems to write with mouse button pressed! i understand what you say but first i need to be able to start windows 7 which seems to refuse to start. i get a black , blue, screen with a larger than normal arrow. can you help?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like you are in Safe Mode. Try shutting it down once again. If it brings up the boot menu choose Start Windows Normally

Are you on that computer now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will try that again although i did try it earlier. i am on the 'bad' computer now although i can read your messages on a tablet. i will close the internet on the computer in question and try starting it normally.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
No probelm, take your time Andrew, let me know if it install it okay

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sadly I have still got just a blue, black screen with, this time, an ordinary size arrow. I would mention that I have backup cds x 5 for the computer a sony vario but nothing specifically for windows although this may be part of it. Let me know what you think.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
You may want to try to boot into Safe Mode and see if it lets you in and try a system restore. It sounds like something in Windows is corrupt

To do that

Shut the computer off

Turn it back on and rapidly push F8 on the keyboard.

Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode then push enter

Once in safe mode

Hold the Windows Key (looks like a flag on the keyboard) and press r

In the run box type rstrui then push enter

This will bring up the system restore.

Try restoring it to a previous date.

Let me know if that does the trick

An alternate solution would be a system recovery of the Sony. This would however restore it to how it came from Sony

To do that

Turn the Sony off

Turn it back on and immediately tap F10 on the keyboard

It will bring up the system recovery options and allow a complete restore.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I will try that and will get back to you.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good Andrew!