Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Software expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

my son in law put an old microsoft works disk in my computer

Customer Question

my son in law put an old microsoft works disk in my computer now i cant get any thing out off it what do you suggest
Category: Software
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Chris and I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Were you trying to install an old version of works?

I am not completely clear on what you mean by "i cant get any thing out off it " can you please further explain what you would like to happen and what is happening?

Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he was trying to install microsoft works after i calmed down i tried to bring up micro soft task launcher but all i got was a message that said bits were missing and cant open

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok can you please tell which version of microsoft works you tried to install?

Also I will need to know which version of windows you are using, is it windows xp, vista, 7, or 8?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it's windows 7 and the system in am running is vistas

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
OK windows vista and windows 7 are both operating systems, they are not works.

Can you have a look at the microsoft works disc and let me know what it says?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it just sayes microsft works on the disc it also says it is for new computers

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok it sounds like there is some incompatibility between the version you are trying to install and your computer but without the exact information it is hard for me to say exactly what.

Did he buy works or did he have it already, do you know if it came with another computer?

Also I need to know the exact error message you receive when you try to run works, this will help a lot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok it was one of his discs dont know how old it is the error message is as follows

microsoft works cannot access one or more files it needs to run . the files may be renamed ,deleted, or moved, try reinstalling then start again

tried this but still get the same message

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok you had said in your question that this is an old version of microsoft works. This leads me to believe that it is not compatible with the version of windows you are using since it is missing needed files to run.

Usually when you install a program all of the necessary files are loaded onto the computer however sometimes the program will need to access certain files that are part of windows. If the program cannot find these files then it cannot run. This is why I think you are using an incompatible version.

Installing and using works is not very difficult and normally nothing more than putting the CD in and following the instructions is needed to use it. Since you have already tried installing it again and it still is not working then the most likely reason is that you are using an incompatible disc.

Unfortunately when something is incompatible you cannot fix it, you need to get a version that IS compatible with your operating system.

As of 2007 Microsoft discontinued works so there is a very good chance you are using a much outdated version.

Microsoft office is the program that is available now, have a look here:
www.microsoftstore.com/Microsoft_Office

If you do not want to buy anything there are also free programs that can do the same things that you can use. One is called open office and can be downloaded for free here
http://www.openoffice.org/

Another online set of programs you can use is provided by google, have a look at docs.google.com

So in short, the version of works you are trying to use is not going to work with your computer and the most likely reason is because it is too old, again they stopped making works back in 2007 and there were many even older versions before that so most likely that is your problem.

You can try installing it again just to make sure no mistakes were made but if you are positive it was installed correctly and still is not working then it is not compatible.

Please kindly rate my service before you go, positive ratings are very appreciated. If you need further assistance or have follow up questions feel free to ask.

Chris