Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

What to do when File Name too long for Copy (Cut&Paste - Windows)

Customer Question

What to do when File Name too long for Copy (Cut&Paste - Windows) to my Drobo FS? - My Drobo is mounted as a Drive and I am copying from an internal PC drive - the files copy fine BUT some are too long (i.e. the number of folder eg: folder1/folder2/folder3/folder4/filename.doc - but longer i.e. over the 255 characters) - Is there a way to force a copy and retain the folder structure and file names etc - I have looked for an open source piece of software and look into robocopy but I am not 100% sure if they are right.
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

The software will not help, as the limitation is windows (Path+Filename limit is 260 characters.)

The only way to get around this is to shorten the path.

The software will not help and the reason is that Windows has the limitation, and the software relies on windows to do the path retrieval and processing, so you will always get this problem.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not the answer I was looking for....

I have seen this done as the guy who fixes my PC's manage to copy files between drives when upgrading but as I say whenever I try it says path/filename too long.... yet as I say he has done it when upgrading my drives - he suggested robocopy - is there not a piece of software to manage this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Not sure the answer is correct
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Jon,

I am not sure why, but my last message did not appear.

One thing to check for is if you are running NTFS on the computer, as this has the capabilities for longer file names.

Click Start, type in CMD and WAIT for Command Prompt to appear.

Right click on it when it appears and choose Run as administrator.

then in the black window, type in

convert DRIVE LETTER: /fs:ntfs

Replace DRIVE LETTER with the drive that has the files you want to copy so if C

convert C: /fs:ntfs

Press enter, let it complete and tell me if you can now copy them please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both drives are already in NTFS.....

Ideally hoping for a piece of software to manage the copying process i.e. log files that it does not copy etc...

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, then use Robocopy please.

It has a limit of 32000 characters in the file name and you can download it via the link below

Click Me To Open

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So your answer is to use a piece of software I already said I was thinking of using.....

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
After checking if your computer was set up correctly with NTFS, yes.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if you need any additional information please