swmcdonnell
swmcdonnell, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Steve has many years of experience in software development.
47680681

This is a question about importing photos from an iPad to Picasa

This is a question about importing photos from an iPad to Picasa 3 a Win7 laptop, using an USB connection. Both have up-to-date software, and are correctly showing the correct date (December 4, 2013) on their systems.

We don't understand the default folder/file names in which Picasa stores the photos when importing.

For instance, downloading 847 photos today, from the iPad to Picasa on the Win7 laptop, the default folder is named 2013/11/30, and downloaded to the 2012 folder. Underneath the 2013/11/30 folder name is XXXXX XXXXX 2012 (smaller type).

None of these dates make any sense.

The same problem arises with downloading from an iPhone, but with different dates.

Could any expert please explain what is happening, and how we should avoid these errors?

Category: Software
Expert:  swmcdonnell replied 3 years ago.

swmcdonnell :

Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I think I can help you, but I have a few questions.

1) What did you choose for the folder title on the "Import To" option? Did you choose "Date Taken" or leave the default (which I think is Date Taken). If so, your photos are saved in separate folders by date taken, not by today's date.

2) What dates are you expecting? Have you taken a look at the EXIF data on a few of the pictures to make sure they have the correct date that you're expecting to come through on the import?

Let me know about these and then we can figure out the solution to your problem.

Customer:

Many thanks for this. I'll try another import, with another iOS device, and see what procedure I used, then report back.

Expert:  DroidZombie replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, I think I can add a bit to what Steve has said.

The most effective way to avoid problems between your iPad, laptop and Picasa is to eliminate the laptop.

I would suggest that you download the Picasa iOS app from the iTunes store so you can transfer your pictures directly from your iPad to Picasa.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/web-albums-picasa-photo-viewer/id344997890

Let me know if you need help setting up the app.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for this comment, but what I am trying to do is transfer images from my iPad to my laptop, so I definitely don't want to eliminate the laptop.....

HiCustomer Do you have any answers for me for the questions I posed so we can get this fixed for you?
swmcdonnell, Computer Scientist
Experience: Steve has many years of experience in software development.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks - all working now - I wasn't taking care in saving to the correct folder.