Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

can someone help me how to download the best ubuntu program

Customer Question

can someone help me how to download the best ubuntu program s the youtube video dont help. I have a samsung google chromebook laptop
Category: Software
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi! My name is Josh and I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

You can download and install UBUNTU 12.04 by clicking here --> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Click on the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS button then select No, take me to my download on the lower left hand side.

Once the software is downloaded, you will need to run the installation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cant do that as it is a samsung google chromebook

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

You will need an external CD drive to complete the task then. It will require burning the UBUNTU software onto a CD and install the software via the CD.

Do you have an external CD drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I dont, do you know how you have to specifically do it for this laptop?

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you can use ChrUbuntu. The steps look complicated but they are not diificult.

What is the model number of your Chromebook?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Version 31.0.1650.62

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I need your manufacturer/model such as Acer AC700 or Google CR-48, or Samsung Series 5, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think its series 3

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Daniel for that information.

1. To get started, make sure your Chromebook is in developer mode. Model-specific instructions can be found here.
  2. Start with your Chrome device turned off. Turn it on but do not login. Make sure you have a WiFi or Ethernet connection configured at this point. 3G/4G is not recommended. Press CTRL+ALT+=> (=> is the forward arrow where the F2 key would be on a PC). Do not use the normal CTRL+ALT+T method to get a shell. Use the CTRL+ALT+=> method while no one is logged in.
  3. Login as user chronos, no password is needed.
  4. As the chronos user and without having changed directories or run other commands, run:

curl -L -O http://goo.gl/9sgchs; sudo bash 9sgchs

Make sure you have the command exactly right. The -O and -L after curl are both capital letters. 9sgchs is all lowercase letters and numbers and would sound like "nine ess gee see aich ess" if you said it out loud. If you get a "not found" error, make sure you have Internet connectivity and you're typing the command correctly.
  5. You'll be prompted with some information about your Chromebook and the version of ChrUbuntu to be installed. Press Enter to continue.
  6. The Chrome OS stateful partition where your data and settings are stored is just short of 11gb by default (except for the Pixel which has a 32 or 64gb SSD), the script shrinks the stateful partition to make room for ChrUbuntu. You can choose to give ChrUbuntu from 5gb up to 10gb in 1gb increments (Note: If you've installed a larger SSD in your Chrome device, your max number and recommended max will be larger). I recommend not going higher than 9 as 10 leaves Chrome OS with very little free space (less than 1gb).
  7. Once you've entered a number, your hard drive will be repartitioned. After awhile it will reboot and re-initialize the stateful partition. This process takes 2-15 minutes and then the Chromebook reboots again and shows you the Welcome screen you got when you first turned on your Chromebook out of the cardboard box.

8. Go through the Chrome OS setup process again until you get to the Google login page. You'll need to have a WiFi or Ethernet connection again at this point. Now follow steps 2 through 5 again. This time the script will see that you've already made room for Ubuntu and start downloading ChrUbuntu.

9. During the installation (within the first 5-15 minutes). You'll see a few prompts to select your encoding, locale and language. For most people, the defaults should be fine, just press Enter but change them if you'd like. Later on, you'll be prompted to decide where GRUB should be installed. YOU MUST CHECK THE BOX NEXT TO /dev/sda in order for boot to work!
  10. After all of the Ubuntu files have been downloaded, installed and configured, the script will make a few more updates and then prompt you to reboot.
  11. At the scary developer mode screen, hit CTRL+L instead of CTRL+D. You'll see ChrUbuntu start up! The username is "user" and the password is "user".
That's it! Now you can just press CTRL+L to boot ChrUbuntu (L as in Legacy, traditional OS) or CTRL+D to boot Chrome OS (D as in Default OS on Disk).