DroidZombie
DroidZombie, Designer and Consultant
Experience:  Need help with an application? Need help finding the RIGHT application for you? Ask away
76391150

Dreamweaver CS6 and spry menu bar.Have installed one of these

Customer Question

Dreamweaver CS6 and spry menu bar.
Have installed one of these which works fine EXCEPT on Apple iPad abd similar where the drop-down feature doesn't operate. Gather this is a problem. Is there a soluition please (for someone with very litrtle coding skill).
Had another problem solved recenlt by expert: kweiner
Thanks,
Norry Boulting
Category: Software
Expert:  DroidZombie replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you.

The problem that you're having is because spry menu doesn't support touch screens. Thankfully, there are a few options available to you.

1) You can switch to spry menu 2.0.

The official documentation can be accessed here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/spry_menu_bar.html

2) Or you could use CSS3 menus

http://css3menu.com/

Both are fairly simple to use. Easier than spry menu 1.0 actually so it's win win for you.

If you need any help setting them up please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - will havbe a look round these and come back to ask questions if necessary and to access the smileys and settle up!

No problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have used the CSS menus site to experiment with a simple menu and, you're right, it seems very simple to use.

However, have a couiple of questions to ask them - whether I can have a menu that goes for 7 or 8 cells across rather than 4 cells and then dropping to another row below with the other 3 below as seems to be prescribed on their site - and then I shall try installing in the DW pages.

After this happens (tomorrow?) I will return here and settle up and do the smiley/rating thing!!

Hope thios all right,

NB

No problem. If it gives you any trouble just let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have yet to receive an answer. perhaps you may know:

• Went to css3menu site that you gave me.

• Used a basic menu but had problem in that I wanted to construct a horizontal drop-down menu with 7 or possibly 8 headings in cells.

• After I had inserted 4 items the cells continued not on the horizontal row, but dropped to a row below and continued for the next 3 items. I hope this explains the situation. I can attach the file if you wish.

My question was whether (when I load to DW possibly? Or before?) I can make a menu that runs horizontally for all 7 cells AND, if possible, is centred, AND is suitable for use with ipads and the like.

Thanks,

Norry

As for the iPad issue, the menu will be totally css so there should be no problems. That's one reason this system was developed.

The number of cells depends on you really. Think of it like adding cells to a table in a wordprocessor. Centering would be the same.

Have a look at this tutorial.

http://cameronbaney.com/2011/03/09/create-an-advanced-css3-menu-version-2/

He uses five menu buttons and it is centered. I don't have an iPad myself so I didn't test his page, but the HTML source for it was totally free of javascript and images so it should load quickly without issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hope this isn't a duplicate but I got interrupted in mid flow.

Don't think I explained myself very well.

The problem is with the construction of the menu. I used their template and made a drop down horizontal menu (dead simple, which is all I require) I aimed to make a menu with 7 or 8 horizontal cells in ONE ROW but the template as far as I can see, only allows me to type FOUR cells in (with text at 10px) beofre it dropped down to form another row for the remaining cells. I can't see any way to keep all cells in one row. Unless it is done when you transfer it to DW.

.

I had a look at the link you supplied, but had difficulty finding the demo to see how it works. I downloaded a cbdb menu which had 3 files in but wasn't very successful after that.

Found the css3 menu link that you sent earlier VERY easy to use but for this point about having one row. Also, their answers are VERY slow, am still waiting on them.

Thanks,

NB

Don't know whether this screen shot will be clear enough, but you may be able to pick out the cells, 'News' Festival' 'Drama' etc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Don't know whether you got the email sent a few hours ago and whether you have any ideas based on it.

I await answer from CSS but think that they will be able to shed some light on the matter.

Have had another look at the lionk you sent but still finding problems with finding/viewing a demo

thanks for help.

NB

Sorry. I didn't miss your last response, I was just looking for an easier example for you.

The reason you are only getting 4 cells in the menu is the html file is set to have a list of 4 items. All you have to do is go into the html and stick another item in the list. Or drop it into dreamweaver and let that do it for you. Again, all the menu code is css so most of what css3menu is doing is sticking your class button into an html file.

Have a look at this example.

http://blog.insicdesigns.com/2010/02/create-a-slick-menu-using-css3/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have now got all 7 cells in a horizontal line and the option of adding more.

You say 'drop' it into DW, but that is proving a problem.My aim is to replace the spry menu bar wih the CSS3 version. I tried copy and paste but that didn't work. I tried inserting the code in the code rather than the Design area, but not sure where to insert. Nor whether I had identified the right bit of code.

Can you tell me what I do after clicking the PUBLISH button in the css3 template. What happened earlier was a file appeared on my desktop called menu 01 to be opened in firefox. On doing that I see a page with the operational menu at the top. So what next please? Should I put any of the files that have come from CSS into the DW site?

Hope I have explained it sufficiently.

Thanks,

NB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wondered whether youhave had any ideas on the answer I sent yesterday evening. I am at a loss as to how to place the menu created into the DW site I have made and where it will replace the spry menu which started all this!

Sorry!

can you send me the html file from css3menu and from your DW page?

I'll put it in for you.

You can use pastebin.com to host it temporarily and just put the link in your next message. The link will be the address of the webpage created after you paste the info.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, don't know how to use pastebin, would dropbox be all right. Not that I've ever used that to send, only to pick up.

I've put the folders in dropbox, what do I do now, send you the pass detail? Many apologies for ignorance.

Thanks,

NB

Click the link icon next to the filename. On the new page click get link, then come back to this page and hit ctrl-v in the text box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry. Failed. Clicked yellow folder icon with rted tick placed left of title. Nothing happened. Double clicked and folder opened but can't see any GET LINK option.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hold everything! Found it. Only hope I've saved the right files???

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rwbeh0hqgba4ioc/XfycasUJm5

So what you sent was the files from Dreamweaver? Where are the files from css3menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Think the right stuff now on dropbox. It's a folder of the material from CSS3 ......I hope.

Thought you would have had an html file from css3menu as well.

Well all you need to do is look at your html and find where the sprymenu css is called. It's near the top of the file. Replace it with your css3menu css. It's just aimed at an arbitrary directory so you can change it to where ever you want your css to be stored.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am VERY sorry, you are being very patient, but I am extremely lost.

You say, look at your html: which html and where do I find? In the DW folder for my site (harburnvillagehall.org.uk)?

There again, which of the files I sent by drop box do I use to replace it? There seem to be a number of folders with css3menu files.

N

Nothing in your dropbox is the finished css/html for your menu. Did you choose "publish" in css3menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, twice and a page with a menu on it appeared, but I tried to copy and paste it onto a site page withough success. It appeared as an unformatted vertical menu

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this is what appeared

Ok you should now have an html file and a css file from css3menu. Open the html file in dreamweaver and copy the menu from there to your homepage. Make sure you put the css file in your project folder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yep, but which of the CSS files. I have a host with roughly the same name (see drop box folder)

I can see :

css3menu full win set up

css 3 menu set up

css 3 menu 1 with arrows un, hsep, main bk and style inside the folder

Ditto the html file. Is that the one I senrt a picture of, or one called simply html?

The zip files are the program itself. The other files are project files, not CSS files. Once you publish it will give you the CSS. You need to edit the HTML file to match your directory structure and put the CSS file in that location.

Check your css3menu folder again for a CSS file with the same name as the HTML file.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Don't know whether you got muy reply that I just might be getting someway nearer (???) I had opened the html file in DW and got somthing like the original horizontal menu. I copied it to anothert of the files on the site, but here the horizontal menu became a central vbertical menu in some jind of courier font.

Is there progress???

Thanks,

NB

That is definitely progress. The horizontal/vertical problem is just the way the list is formatted. If you look at the html code you will probably find a after every item in the list. Remove those and it will be horizontal again.

The font is probably because one of the css references in your html is not pointing to the correct file location. Dreamweaver is dumb and will not update these for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have put a word doc with the code in dropbox. I see a lot of <a> around. So I removed </a> and replaced with </> Still the pasted version was centred and vertical.

I tried removing the whole thing (</a>) but still the same result.

By the way, it's only when paste the copy of the horizontal menu that it goes vertical

Just to check, what I am doing is opening the Menu3css dated 01 14 in dreamweaver, I see a fully working horizontal memnu. I copy in the normal way and paste onto an existing page in my local files, but with the effect you can see in the drop box word doc pages.

The and tags are for the links. If you delete them your links will just be text.

The code from css3menu is beautiful. If you were to just display that then yes it would be exactly what you want. The problem lies in your Dreamweaver code. It is changing something or misinterpreting it.

Can you send me that? Just upload the html file from dreamweaver. I can read it on my computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Again, displaying ignorance. I have the file (At least I think it's the one - its called menu01 14css3prj.html) in a local folder of an unpublished experimental site. I have copied it to drop box, but suspect you want it put somewhere else, or that you are after aniother file.

Please advise.

I need the html file you want the menu to go into for the final site so I can position it for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Understood.

I am going to want it on virtually all of the pages on the site.

Presumably if it works on (say) the index page, I can then copy and paste into the other pages needing to have it. is there any quick way of doing this?

The site is already live and can be accessed via harburnvillagehall.org.uk/index. Should I put a copy of this page into dropbox, or can you take it from there?

As I have said before, you are very patient!

N

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wondered whether you have had time to conside the reply sent a few hours back. Thanks,

NB

Sorry,

I'm still working on it. After I get it fixed I'll post a link to my drop box. If the question times it I can still email you the link so don't worry. I want to test it on a few different platforms before I give it to you as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks a lot, will wait on an answer when convenient.

Have you got all you need now?

Not quite sure what this below, from yiour reply, means:

If the question times it??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can't remember whether you wanted the </a> in or out. If out, do you want </> left in?

Found that I had put wrong links in so I've had to switch the menu. Hope that doesn't affect your work.

Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhmlysojrc3115m/justanswer-customer.html

If it doesn't work let me know. You may have to change a directory location.

And don't touch any <a> or </a> tags. You will break your links.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. received an html file with a menu on.. It is showing as a vertical menu with all the second and third levels showing. A smaller point is that it appears above the photos (my fault, I should have given the location. It can be seen on, say, the NEWS or SWRI pages and is in the lighter area below the photos)

Don't know whether a screen shot will explain better: Screenshot 2014-01-22 15.35.26.png

Sorry!

Again!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By the way, the result appeared when I took it into DW and opened. Mind you, it was the same when I opened it by double clicking.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hoping you may be able to shed some light on the latest proble..

not hassling though, you've had enough to put up with!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wondered whether you have had any ideas on the horizontal menu.

Would like to get the site up and running fully again.

Thanks,

N

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Haven't heard anything for a day or so. Hope to get some advice very soon. Thanks.

Sorry, actually had pc problems of my own. I'll send the file to you shortly
Seems I spoke too soon. I thought the css file was in your dropbox.

I need the following file

Menu 01 14.css3prj_files/css3menu1/style.css
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Think I have sent the right one. It's in a folder marked Menu 01 14 CSS3pri_files

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Was that the correct file/folder please?

N

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Was that the right file please? Are you any closer to a solution?

Thanks,

NB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hoping to hear from you but I imagine we're into the week-end. Thanks,

N

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rather lost track of the state of the enquiry. Are you going to be able to deal with the probklem do you think? It seemed that progress had been made but I may have mis-rtead the situation.

Hoping to hear, one way or another,

thanks,

NB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still had no answer. If it's not possible to go any further, please, please, let me know and I'll try to get help elsewhere. Had thought we were nearing a resolution.

I've been bashing my head off the wall trying to figure out why the menu wasn't working for you.

It's actually quite silly and I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Dreamweaver won't change the link address inside your html that tell it where to find your menu css.

I put a comment into the html at the position of the address. You need to make a directory within your Dreamweaver project and put the css file in it. Then change the address in the html to match that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for rapid reply. - I think I see what you are driving at.

Any chance you could give me a step by step. For instance, is a directory the same as a folder. What do you mean by changing the address in the html.

I didn't do this as far as I am aware when sertting up the spry menu that is there at the moment or is that irrelevant? There again, maybe I did???

Yes the directory is the folder you put it in.

If you open up the html file in Dreamweaver then switch to the code view you'll be able to find my comment on where to change the location. The comments are the totally English looking bits and we'll start with .

If you don't like the code viewer in Dreamweaver you can open the file in notepad.

You will need to make this change to every page on your website. It may actually be easier to use the page I sent as a template and then rebuild the pages in Dreamweaver.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You say you have sent a page, is this in dropbox or where please?

Looking at a preview of the menu I have cfreated, there are one or two alteations I'd like to make and a possible addition later. Wil;l this be feasible after the menu is in place or will it be a similar problem please?

Also not sure what this means:

The comments are the totally English looking bits and we'll start with .

Sorry the comment tags I was trying to show you were ignored by our system because they are comments about a webpage which is what we are communicating through... Sorry if that is a bit obscure.

I'll put spaces in the tag so you get the idea if what to look for.

is the end

Yes it's in the drop box link I sent earlier. Same filename, new version.

If you want to make changes then I would suggest rebuilding your website around the files from css3menu. It will be easier than changing every page you have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

More problems I'm afraid. Put in that link

but the folder that came up said latest in dropbox was 6 days ago.

Also can't make much of this (copied from your reply)

is the end

What I'm trying to show you is an example of html comment tags... They will not show up because of the design of our website. It's rather annoying actually.

You'll have to google "html comment tags" to see what they look like.

and despite the date on my dropbox saying 6 days ago I changed it so it has the comment I was talking about. Again, annoying things that make no sense...