John
John, Software Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

Hope you can help. For a number of weeks I have been receiving

Hope you can help. For a number of weeks I have been receiving International telephone calls from callers claiming to be from Microsoft regarding updates to my system re security.My latest call was around 09.10 this morning (Monday 3 February), which was not a pleasant call when I refused to give information/ log on to my system etc. As the call went from bad to worse the caller implied that he had my IP Address and was going to close my system down. I am not software or even computer literate, My usage is mainly personal emails etc. Can you please advise if these telephone calls are on behalf of Microsoft or are they fraudulent? Can you please reassure me that this person will not/cannot gain access to my system to change or delete anything.Any help or advice you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks in advance .....Ann
Category: Software
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

John :

Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you today. I will try my best to help you.

John :

Sir/Ma'am these are fraud calls to gain access to your PC. which you can find on this link http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

John :

There are a lot of fraud calls like these going on now a days,sometimes even through email

John :

Do not give any sorts of details to them either through phone or email.

John :

To make sure your system is secure i need to know more details about your PC like

Which is the operating system installed in the PC.Is it windows Xp, Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8 or any other
Which is the Anti-virus installed in the PC?

John :

Note: - Type your message in the chat box below then press enter to send it or click on reply to send it so that I can see your reply

Customer:

I dont know how to send my answer or know where to look to give you the info you need

John :

OK did you see my above replies including the link i provided which states the call you had is a fraud/scam call

Customer:

yes, also its it is windows XP

John :

Good and thank you for the update regarding operating system.do you have a anti-virus installed in your PC?

Customer:

yes its Microsoft security Essentials

John :

good.if you browse too webpages frequently,download files from internet a lot and do internet banking i suggest you install a paid anti-virus like Norton internet security or kaspersky internet security also microsoft is going to stop the support for windows XP in this April.

John :

Did you give any of your personal or bank details to the scam caller?

Customer:

I will look at adding Norton as I do some banking transactions etc. Will i be informed that Xp will no longer be supported from April?

John :

no they have officially mentioned about that in this web link you can check it http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx

Customer:

Thanks for that info and Link. Also I havent given any personal or bank details to the various callers

John :

Good.you can also do a malware scanning using this programs called malwarebytes anti-malware which you can download from this link https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Free version is enough

John :

you can download and install it then run a full scan and if it finds any threats click on shows results and remove the the threats it shows

John :

That will make the system clean too

John :

Is there anything else you like to know ?

Customer:

when we end this call will all the above details be retained, like an email, so that I can follow your advice over the next few days.

John :

yes you can.you can find it in your email which you have used to register this question with justanswer,look for a email from justanswer which says "i just answered your ....."open it then click on view answer that will show you all these details.

John :

You can also report these kind scam calls and emails in this website too http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

Customer:

Thats great. Many thanks for your help it has put my mind at rest but I will get on with your recomendations. Its a pity these calls cant be stopped. The caller this morning finished the call with some very colourful anglo saxon English that Im not use to hearing.

John :

I can understand you ma'am,try reporting these kind of scams using the link i gave above.all these kind of callers call from different countries and its difficult to track down some used internet calls too,i am really sorry about it.

Customer:

Thank you John, you have covered everything for me. Regards Ann

John :

you are welcome ma'am.

If you are satisfied with my services/answer please rate me using the options just below this chat box select the rating and click on submit that will do it some bonus will be well appreciated. Wish you a God blessed New Year. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Customer:

Will do

John :

Thank you ma'am.