Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

I made the mistake of purchasing windows 8 about a year ago.

I made the mistake of purchasing windows 8 about a year ago. When I got it home I noticed it was an upgrade copy however as I wanted to do a clean install I took it back. I can;t remember what happened when I took it back but whatever it was is causing me problem now I want to do a new clean install. I have two copies of Win8 one looks like an upgrade copy and the other says it only comes installed with a new PC. This is copy installed on my computer (I know this as I check the Key number). I cannot think why I have this copy as I've not had a new PC for about 8 years, so its impossible it came with a PC. However, I now want to do a clean install with this copy but its acting like I can only upgrade. What has happened here? Can anyone fill in the missing pieces? How did I get this copy to work as a clean install? Thanks

I seem to think I might have spoken to MS on the phone and they did something.  Does this help?

Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The upgrade would have upgraded the existing windows you had, that is why it worked. It is not possible to do a clean install with an upgrade disk.

We can see if we can return you to the original version of windows, so you can upgrade, but first tell me the make and model of your computer please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure something happened that made the disk work even without windows on the computer.

I built the PC myself. Its an i3

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, it is not possible for an Upgrade disk to work as a full install Alex, 100% not possible sorry.

It is not even a boot disk so you cannot boot from it.

If you built the PC yourself, then you will need a full windows install disk from a previous version and then do the upgrade.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know the MS UK support number?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
yes, it is (0)844(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Something still doesnt make sense. And I've found a sleeve for a Win 8, it a Win 8 64Bit Eng Intl 1pk DSP OEI

I'm so sure I didn't do an upgrade last time, does the above shed any light on it?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No sorry, from that it does not tell me anything, only that it is Win 8 64Bit Eng, but not if it is an updrade or full install.