Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 15+ years experience.
63083622

My mouse pointer stopped working on my desktop, I changed the

Customer Question

My mouse pointer stopped working on my desktop, I changed the mouse another 3 times.
Neither one of these worked. I can't access any of my files, is there something that I can do
to make a fix. I am running windows 7 SP1. obviously not using Desktop I am on a friends laptop.. hope you can help! [email protected]
Category: Software
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.

Wes :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. When did this problem start? Was anything changed, loaded, uninstalled, etc...?

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

Started today. Yes I downloaded Calibre e-book program>

Wes :

Are you by the computer right now?

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

Yes

Wes :

Okay, start the computer up. Also, is your mouse wired or wireless? Is the keyboard wired or wireless?

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

mouse and keyboard are wired. the computer is on.

Wes :

Keyboard works? Try swapping the USB ports the mouse and keyboard are in... does the keyboard still work? Also when you plug them in do you hear any chimes or noises out of the computer

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

They are not USB ports they are plugin nothing is working since I changed over no sounds

Wes :

So they have the round PS2 connectors?

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

Yes

Wes :

okay, put them back in their original ports, I figured they would be USB

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

They are replaced

Wes :

shut down and restart the computer

Wes :

Do you see the mouse arrow on the screen at all?

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

Keyboard is working

Wes :

okay would you be willing to do a remote support session?

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

Mouse Arrow is central on screen and not moving

Wes :

okay, using the keyboard only, can you open a web browser? You should be able to use the windows key to open the start menu

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

I will not be able to use this laptop much longer my friend needs it back. can I get back on this tomorrow?

Wes :

yes

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

thank you

Wes :

just come back here and reply when you are ready to continue

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

I will. Sorry

Wes :

no problem at all

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

Hello Wes

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

I am in chat

Wes :

I am here as well

Wes :

has there been any change in behavior? Also, is this mouse an optical mouse? Does the sensor glow red when plugged in? This isn't a definitive test because some use visible LEDs others use non-visible IR.

Wes :

In your original question you mentioned changing the mouse 3 times... by that do you mean you plugged it in and out 3 times, tried 3 different mice? If you have tried other mice have they all been PS2, or were some USB?

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

The 4 mice, that I have plugged in, are wired and lead from the back of the computer to no avail. All were PS2

Wes :

I bet your PS2 mouse port is blown

Wes :

To rule it out however, you would need a USB mouse.

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

Is that the answer

Wes :

I can do a remote to check on the drivers and see if the mouse pointer responds when I use it.

Wes :

It's kind of up to you. I'm willing to basically do whatever you feel is required to repair it if it's a software problem, but obviously I can't fix hardware problems remotely.

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

I don't know how that would work. you will have to guide me to find out if it is software

Wes :

not necessarily, if you can bring a web browser up using the keyboard and enter a link in a web browser (you can use the windows key to access the start menu, and tab will usually change between fields in the web browser) I can do a remote.

Wes :

that would be much easier than trying to do what I need you to do without a mouse.

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

I have clicked on the windows key and got the start menu.

Wes :

open a web browser or windows explorer

Wes :

i will be right back

Wes :

you can even use "Computer" from the start menu

Wes :

once you get the window open press the tab key several times until it is in the address box which is between the forward and backward buttons and the search computer box

Wes :

let me know when you've gotten that far

Wes :

you can also use windows+E to open an explorer window if that's easier

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

As I said earlier the pointer is stuck in the middle of the screen and only selects whatever is under it

Wes :

I realize that, but if you hit the windows button it opens your start menu. You can use the arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate through the start menu and the enter key as the left mouse button (select). Start up a web browser, it doesn't matter which one. When the web browser starts you can hit the tab key and it will cycle through various areas of the window being selected. When the address bar is selected type in http://bit.ly/1oeIyRL EXACTLY as you see it and hit enter. As information windows pop up you can use the arrow key and enter to select accept or deny, ok or cancel. You can also use alt+tab to switch between windows or applications without the mouse. If this doesn't work, then my answer will have to be that your PS/2 port is bad and that you should purchase a USB or Wireless mouse to replace it.

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

I managed to bring up desktop icons, navigated to IE. selected IE. It is highlighted but the pointer is on Fix it Microsoft-ATS and has that semi- highlighted. IE has not opened

Wes :

Do you know anyone you can borrow a USB mouse from?

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

Not at this time. I will purchase one tomorrow. That's the best I can do!

Wes :

Tell you what. Stop back here tomorrow once you get the replacement mouse and let me know if it worked for you or not. I think that will probably save a lot of frustration for both of us and I'd prefer not to unnecessarily frustrate you with trying to operate the computer without a mouse unless it's absolutely necessary.

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

That sounds about the only thing to do at the moment. however having accessed limited movement with keyboard keys, will it be OK for me to experiment further?

Wes :

Certainly, if you want to try to get it into a web browser and get that code entered, I'd still be happy to see if I can find anything amiss.

Wes :

The key areas you need to get to are in the control panel, into system, then device driver.

Wes :

If you're doing it yourself that is... then you'd want to see if you can find the mouse shown in device driver.

Wes :

If it's not shown at all that's a sign that the port is bad

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

I will try, I am in system right now but cannot access device manager

Wes :

windows+pause/break will bring up the system window, you can then use tab and the arrows to select device manager

Wes :

Do you have any other questions regarding this for now?

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

No but I will Contact you again tomorrow, if that is OK?

Wes :

That's fine

Wes :

Talk to you then

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

Excuse the delay in answering or rating.

JACUSTOMER-p9h2wu7z- :

I found that things were getting over technical for me and I was going round in circles. with no computer and having to wait for a loan of one, I have decided to put my computer into a workshop for repair.

Wes :

Is there a reason you rated me poor?