Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

Just bought Photoshop CS 6 with CD driver. It will give me

Just bought Photoshop CS 6 with CD driver. It will give me a new canvas OR an imported photo on screen but NOT BOTH. It says 'Could not use the move tool because the layer is locked'

How do unlock so that I can import photos to drag on to the canvas to create layers?

Not much point having Photoshop If I can't create layers.

Regards Marilyn
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The 'layer is locked' message is displayed when you attempt to move the locked 'Layer' with the Photoshop move tool. Similar messages may occur when attempting to perform other edits on a locked layer.

For example, attempting to paint with the Photoshop brush tool produced the error, 'Could not use the brush tool because the layer is locked'. Similar warning messages may appear when attempting to use other tools on a locked Photoshop layer.

Photoshop locked layers and Other edits on locked layers will be disabled, but may not produce warning messages. For example, it is not possible to use the Free Transform tools on a locked layer. However, the menu item will simply be grayed out when a user right clicks the mouse to bring up the menu selection.

To unlock and relock a Photoshop layer, simply click on lock icons towards the top of the Layers Palette

This will then allow you to move.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can EITHER have an empty canvas on screen OR an imported photograph on screen. I am not allowed to have a photo ready to select and drag and drop onto said canvas.

I need the canvas on screen and the photo ready to drop onto the canvas.

I do not want only one of the two on screen at any given time. I want both empty canvas and photo(s) ready to be moved onto the canvas

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I understand, but you need to first unlock it Marilyn.

This was the instructions I gave. Did you do this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I unlocked the canvas then I tried to import a photo - the canvas disappeared. I unlocked the photo then I tried to open an empty canvas so the unlocked photo disappeared.

It seems I can only have a canvas OR a photograph (locked or unlocked). I cannot have more than one thing on screen simultaneously so I cannot create any layers.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Do it this way please.

Double Click on the background layer, which brings up the New Layer dialogue box. This can now be renamed before clicking OK. The background layer has now been converted to an ordinary Photoshop layer.

Then import your photo.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, the same thing happens. I renamed the background layer as 'canvas' clicked OK. I imported a photo and the previous newly named 'canvas' layer disappeared.

I cannot have more than one thing simultaneously on the photoshop screen.

Is it the clipboard which is missing (I don't know the terms). All I get is one thing at a time.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?

It is easier to work with you on this. You can see and control everything I do

Can you please click on my link below.

http://tinyurl.com/9439e

This will download a program to your computer.

Run this program by double clicking it.

You will then see a Code and Password.

Please send that to me in your next message.

Do not close the program, please leave it open.

Make sure to seperate the code numbers with a space eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My ID is 171 185 765

My password XXXXX XXXXX

I have not put extra spaces between the numbers only the two spaces given in my ID

The programme is open

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
connected
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I was disconnected Marilyn

The steps you do are as follows

Select the Square selection tool

Make a square around your photo.

Select Edit, then Copy

Make a new file.

Double click on Background in the bottom right so you can make a new layer.

Then select Edit, Paste to paste the photo.

That's it, you can then do as you wish with the photo.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry I'm only allowed one layer at a time. I've yet to see Layer 0, layer 1 etc come up on the left of my screen . It's just one layer at a time on the Photoshop screen. All a bit of a nightmare

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You need to double click on Background and it allows you to add another Layer Marilyn, like I showed you on your computer.

Then you add the photo.

I will repeat the steps for you, tell me on which step your getting stuck please.

Select the Square selection tool

Make a square around your photo.

Select Edit, then Copy

Make a new file.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right slowly slowly - I managed to get a white background layer and a photo both on the same screen. It's cumbersome because the photo is huge so resizing will be tedious. However I thought I would bring a second photo in so immediately the first two layers (white background plus one photo) completely disappeared- back to square one.

I'm used to working on an A4 canvas where I am manipulating up to five photo layers with varying degrees of transparency.

Is my problem that it's CS6 but not version 2 which I was used to. Everything seems so cumbersome and counter productive

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is the problem, there are a lot of changes made into it Marilyn, especially since version 2.

But the process I gave is how you do this in this current version.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I just have to go online to Photoshop and upgrade to version 2 (that's all I need)? Will it be very expensive?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
They do not sell it anymore Marilyn, it has been discontinued for a very long time.

But I found a version on Amazon for you here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-CS-2-PC/dp/B00097EBFO

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh dear

Have I been an idiot. I paid 259.00 for this one. I don't suppose I can say it was unsatisfactory can I? Is the Amazon one you're showing me with a CD driver? Is it 199.00? Will it do the sort of things I've been used to?

Back to this version - can I actually get hold of three layers plus on one screen simultaneously - if so how?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is on a CD Marilyn, and you do have a return period, so contact the company you purchased it from and check if you can return it.

It is version 2, so what your use to.

But for your next question, as we did get your photo working and you know how to do this, can I ask please you rate me.

I can then handle the follow up questions, but can you do this first please as we solved the initial problem?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Go through this article please Marilyn

Click me to open

It explains the different layers and how to show them all on the screen.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I've been a fool buying it. I'm going to see if I can get a refund. If I buy the CS6 2 I only hope it comes out in the way I'm used to using it

Thank you for your help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thought you might like to know that Adobe now offers Photoshop CS2 as Freeware. Dead easy to download and install