Sudipto
Sudipto, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting
15197395

upgraded to 8.1 I can no longer log in to my laptop

Customer Question

Category: Software
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question. Do you get a login screen like the image below ?

http://fixedbyvonnie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-login-screen.png
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no user picture user name changed

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Do you see your Live account email address, instead of the user name ?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Do you get a screen like the image below ?

http://www3.pcmag.com/media/images/283234-sign-in-to-your-pc.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
What other icon or message, do you see except the username and password XXXXX ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nothing

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Look at the top and bottom of the screen, on the sides ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bottom left icon for ease of access and wifi signal strength. Right side country and power icon

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Don't you see anything like "Sign in as Different user" or "Need Help" etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Honestly speaking David this is a complicated problem, it will take a whole lot of time to solve it. Please follow the steps below and reply me back.

Press or Click the Power button at the Windows login screen. Then, press and hold the SHIFT key on your keyboard and click Restart.

Safe Mode, Boot, Windows 8, Start

Windows asks you to choose an option. Press Troubleshoot. Do not click anything, just reply me back.

Safe Mode, Boot, Windows 8, Start

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

done

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.

In the Troubleshoot screen, press Advanced options.

Safe Mode, Boot, Windows 8, Start

In the Advanced options screen, press Startup Settings.

Safe Mode, Boot, Windows 8, Start

You are informed that you are about to restart in order to change several Windows options, including enabling Safe Mode. Press Restart.

Safe Mode, Boot, Windows 8, Start

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

went to start-up repair

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Do you see a screen like the image below ?

Safe Mode, Boot, Windows 8, Start

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, it went straight to start-up repair showing my name, but not my user name

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Do you get a password XXXXX ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

message at bottom of page forgotten your password XXXXX can't see you account

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
OK, Click on Can't See your account and let me know, what options do you get ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Message This list only shows administrator accounts that have previously signed in to this pc, and does not include standard user or domain accounts. You need to be signed in as an administrator to use some repair and restore tools. If you don't have a password XXXXX any of these accounts you can restart to try signing in to windows to manage your user accounts.

option to restart

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Do you see a back arrow on any part of the screen ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Click that to get back to the previous page and then click on forgotten your password XXXXX let me know, what do you see ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It came up with one option for both not a choice

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Please restart the PC and follow the same steps then, let me know, when you are on the screen, like the image below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It never showed that screen

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Did you get this screen ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
OK, let me know, when you get to that screen .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Options - continue, use a device, troubleshoot or turn off pc

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Click on troubleshoot and let me know, what options do you get on the next screen ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

refresh, reset or advance options

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Click on " advance options" and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

system restore, system image recovery, start-up repair, command prompt, uefi firmware settings, start-up settings

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Select system restore and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

choose an account to continue only shows David Morton. My user name was mortal

bottom of page "forgotten your password XXXXX can't see your account"

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Can you click on the account name ? or do you get a password XXXXX ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can click on account name. No password XXXXX

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
When you click on the account name, do you get any options ?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Sorry David, if you are still unable to use the password XXXXX I am extremely sorry that, without reinstalling Windows will not solve the problem. You can select the "system image recovery" option to recover your PC to factory settings. But, unfrotunately all the data will be lost.

Please click on "Reply To Expert" and reply me back, if you need any further help, otherwise please remember to give rating for my time and effort.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does not accept password. Have important documents saved

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Then, it is a big problem. You will need some one, who can remove the hard drive from your PC and then connect it with another PC and back up the files and then, you have to recover Windows.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What about the cost for a guaranteed remedy?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
I have told you, what you have to do to solve the problem, this is a online site, I can only give you instructions, it is not possible for me to remove the hard drive and back up the data.

I can give you the instructions to remove the hard drive from the PC and install it on another hard drive, if you are comfortable with computer hardware.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not happy about wasting money and having to pay someone else more money to repair it

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
I can understand that, but the steps to remove and installing the hard drive in another PC is pretty simple and you can do it with help of any of your freind or neighbor, who have a little knowledge in computer hardware, otherwise if the PC is less than one year old then, it is still under warranty and this can be done from the shop, from where you have bought it, without any money.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is of course I month out of warranty and I do not have anyone with the relevant knowledge

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Then, let me know, what can I do more for you. Do I give you the instructions to remove the hard drive ? because this is only I can do from Internet .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no. how can I open it in safe mode?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Ok, please use the back arrow to go back from the current screen and let me know, when you see the options below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Click "start-up settings" and let me know,if you see the exact screen or not ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

on screen now

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Can you click on "Enable Safe Mode" ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, only have the option to restart

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Ok, click on restart and after your computer restarts again, it will displays nine startup settings, including Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Let me know, when you see the screen below.

Safe Mode, Boot, Windows 8, Start

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

laptop switching off and shift and restart does not work now

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Did you get the screen below ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It should be starting in safe mode now

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
You may get a screen like the image below. Press 4 on your keyboard to start windows in safe mode and check if you are able to login or not.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Sorry David, I have to go offline for the day. I will open the question for other experts, if no one get back to you, I will continue again, when I get back online again.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Hi David, as I can see that, no one had replied me back, I can continue with you, can you tell me, if you are able to login using the safemode ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am awaiting a response from Microsoft regarding this. I seen your last message, but no option to reply was available

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to start WIndows in safe mode ?