Bryan
Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Having worked with computers for over 25 years, starting back with DOS programs, I've used most everything.
59162784

My whole installation of Thunderbird disappeared. Ive got

My whole installation of Thunderbird disappeared. I've got I've pointed it to my e-mail provider and its working but I've lost all the e-mails that were already there. Can I recover them ?
Category: Software
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Bryan :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Bryan :

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. Do you mean that you had Thunderbird setup with another email provider, had emails coming in, switched providers and can no longer see the previous emails?

Customer:

I opened Thunderbird and nothing was their not even my account details. I've reset it up so it works with sky (both receiving and sending) but I don't have access to the email directories already on my computer. Can i point it at them and recover them, ?

Bryan :

One minute

Bryan :

First we need to find out if your old profiles are still accessible. Which version of Windows are you on?

Customer:

8

Bryan :

oh boy .. I'm sorry .. this new timer feature is causing a problem. I may need to switch to Q&A to stop it. Is that okay with you?

Customer:

yes

Bryan :

Sorry for the inconvenience. Refresh in about 30 seconds.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Screen has disappeared and new format appeared

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had an e-mail that says you've answered my question but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Disregard that ... If you open Windows Explorer (Windows Key + E) and navigate to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles, what do you see listed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have a file called AppData which presumably the problem.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You do. It's just hidden. Go into Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives. Then save it and try to go back to the directory mentioned above.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I seem to have several versions of this conversation up so I've reduced it to one.

I have a folder called App with a few odds and ends but no folder AppData.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my previous comment re AppData ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You seem to have disappeared

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I'm here. And no, I did not get you reply about AppData.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't find file AppData, best I can find is Thunderbird/Profiles/3mqck315.default which contains the names of some of my folders.

My address Book is still there and the e-mail addresses its collected to fill in when I type an e-mail address.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Go into Control Panel - Folder Options - View - Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives. Then save it and try to go back to the directory mentioned.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Done that and that's what the Thunderbird/Profiles was all about.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about that my internet went down.

I rebooted the computer and AppData has now appeared.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've managed to find and restore my local folders (mainly family history and holidays) which I was most worried about. Its just the e-mails in my main Inbox but Sky have the last month anyway.

Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Yes, the AppData folder is normally a hidden folder. Glad to hear you recovered the most important data. Take care.