Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook which has Windows 7 Starter

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook which has Windows 7 Starter installed. I recently purchased Windows Anytime Upgrade for this which invited me to put this phrase into Search and enter the supplied Upgrade Key to enable an upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. I have done this FIVE times and in each case it goes through the procedure 'verifying key' and then proceeds to apparently download Windows 7. It should then automatically reboot into Windows 7 Home Premium. It is not doing so and I just cannot seem to get help from Microsoft as their help just loops round there is no way (tel no to call ) Further information: I have loaded the Acer Android Instant On system which effectively creates a dual boot arrangement.
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Where exactly does it fail? Does it complete the download?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It takes time enough to do a download and then gives a failure message which I have not noted down the wording.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks,

I will give you a set of instructions, if it fails again after this, please tell me exactly what the error is.

Close all programs.

Click start, type in

%temp%

Press enter

Delete all the files and folders listed there. If windows complains a file is in use, you can skip it.

Once done, disable your anti virus program while we do this.

Then try to update and tell me if it still fails and the exact error you get.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Failed: 'Windows Anytime Upgrade was not successful. Please try the upgrade again.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Can you make sure please Service Pack 1 is installed which you can install from my link below.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=199583

Once installed, restart the computer and tell me if you can now install the update please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had to copy that link into the netbook as I am talking to you from a Windows 8 Desktop. The link gave me a list of files (10) for SP1 so all are ticked and being downloaded but it looks as if it will take some time so I will get back to you when all are safely downloaded. The total size being downloaded is 5.4GB

Keith

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem Keith.

Let me know the results please when they are downloaded and installed and you try the update again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A similar thing: they are appearing to be downloaded and certainly the first file which was 1.9GB took some time but then gave the message 'This program could not be downloaded. I tried a smaller one of the set and the same message.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, do this then try again please

Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and try to download the updates again

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have done all the disabling etc. Do you mean I should try the link you sent me or try to do Anytime upgrade routine?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The link please, to download the updates.

Once their installed, then attempt the Anytime upgrade please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Roger that, thanks

Keith

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Keith

On standby for the results.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Keeps reporting (after what appears to be a download sequence that these files could not be downloaded. Just to refresh: it is Windows 7 Starter I have on the netbook not any other version of Windows 7. Do these links recognise the limits of the netbook with only Starter on?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The files work for windows starter.

It sounds like (and the cause of your initial problem) your internet connection is not stable and keeps breaking.

Is it possible to go to a friends and use their internet to do this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did think this so I moved the netbook to within 3ft of the modem and also put a wired connection in. Connection is showing 10% signal.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Is this a BT hub?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last message should have read 100% signal. It is not a BT hub it is a Netgear (Virgin supplied Hub) fed by a fibre optic cable to my house.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
can you remove the power from the router.

Wait 5 minutes, and while waiting, shut down the computer.

The power on the router, start the computer and try again.

If this fails, do the following please.

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Then try to download them

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got to the Command window and it placed me in the Windows/system32 directory. I typed in the command you listed and after brief wait it reported ' could not start the repair service'

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
which command are you referring to in my instructions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sfc / scannow

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, skip that step and proceed with the next one

chkdsk /r

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

access denied need to run as administrator.

Do you want to carry this over Richard, it must be lunch-time EST and it is meal-time (Evening) here in the UK. You are being very patient with me and I thanks you for that. Will you be on duty tomorrow or do you pass on the problem?

Keith

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
its ok, you just mis did my instructions.

I will repeat what you did wrong.

(Remember to select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR)

A black window will open.

Type in it

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

Then try to download them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have corrected and followed your procedure to the letter and they are downloading into my downloads folder. 5 out od 10 have said ' This program could not be downloaded' others are still in the process but are the larger files.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, we will have to let it complete and then see if you can do the anytime update.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All downloaded except the large 1.9GB file which is about 45% but after download it runs a security scan before saying ' This file could not be downloaded. They all appear in the Downloads and at the correct weight of Kb or Mb. So should I be able to click on them and choose RUN? Only the large one to complete download now.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
yes please, run them all and when done, restart the computer and try the anywhere update.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All came through except the 1.9GB ISO file. Is it possible to download it through my Desktop (Windows 8) computer onto a USB stick and then put it into the Netbook that way?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No sorry. I was just typing the below for you.

I need to go off now Keith, but did not want to leave you in the lurch

If my last instructions failed, you need to reinstall windows, everything else has been done.

To do this, backup all your data off the computer onto a memory stick or external drive. Programs you will have to install again.

Once done, turn off the computer.

Then hold the ALT key down and with it held down, turn on the computer and keep tapping F10 until you see the recovery manager.

There, do a Factory reset, let this complete and windows will be installed again.

Then try to do the downloads again as these will be needed, then try the Anytime Upgrade.

I don't work on weekends, but for you I will check in on this question tomorrow morning and reply back if you have problems.

Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Richard. Have a nice weekend. Will send a status report. Thanks for your patience.

Keith

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Keith

You too a great weekend