Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

Hi,On boot I get:STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034,

On boot I get:
STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0X0000000, 0X0000000)
Category: Software
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8? Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode as well?

Also, do you have a Windows installation disk with you?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, i have a windows xp installation disk

i run the installation and after it has loaded the set up files and reboots i get this message:

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

there is more but i'm sure you know the rest?

this is being done with a new hard drive that works fine and has been scanned

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Now, please retry a fresh installation of Windows XP one more time, following the enlisted steps:

1) Boot up your computer with the installation disc inserted.

2) Press any key to load from the disc when prompted to do so.

3) Press ENTER when you see the message 'To setup Windows XP now', and then press ENTER displayed on the 'Welcome to Setup' screen (Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console).

4) In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5) At the next screen, press Esc in order to skip to the list of partitions present.

6) Now, at the next screen, select your system partition, i.e. C: by default, and press D in order to delete the same.

7) In the unpartitioned space that comes up as a result, press C in order to create a new partition automatically,and press ENTER thereafter.

8) Next, press ENTER to install Windows XP in the partition created, and at the next window, select the 'Format the partition using the NTFS file system (quick)' option and wait for the system to format the drive accordingly.

9) Wait for the system to finish copying the files and reboot, then load up your XP OS as you do normally (don't boot from the disc again), and follow the steps given accordingly to install the OS accordingly.

If you continue to face issues during the installation, just reply back to me below.

Keep me posted. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,

1 & 2 work - setup is loading windows files OK

it then says: windows setup and loads files OK

setup is starting windows - CRASH

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if the screen appears again, follow these steps:

check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

i do not get to:

3) Press ENTER when you see the message

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, this might indicate a hardware issue with your motherboard or one of its components. Let me open up your question to our other experts now; you will be automatically notified when another expert picks this up.

Please do not rate any answer until your issue has been resolved. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,

i reset the bios to default so that shouldn't be the problem

i can tell you this has happened before and no new parts were required.

if i take into a repair shop they reset something

OK

here's the answer:

worth noting, probably on other computers/laptops

in the bios i can set the os system to xp vista or other

originally this laptop came with vista installed, so setting the bios to default it was set to vista, preventing xp from being load

set to xp all ok

now i've given you some info, hope you won't mind giving me a bit

as i'm doing a new xp installation can i configure updates now that xp is no longer supported by microsoft or download from somewhere

thanks,

Mike

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike this is Chris R and I would be happy to take over from here and try to help you out. Are you getting this Stop error ever since you installed the new hard drive? Or was this happening before? I read the previous post but I am unsure about where in the XP installation it is failing. Does it do an initial copying over of files with the blue screen? Do you get as far in the installation that it lets you format and partition the drive? Do you get to the point that you are seeing the Windows Graphical installation? I think there can be something not set up right with the drive. Are you sure that the jumpers are set properly, and that you have the data cables and power connected properly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi chris,

OK

here's the answer:

set to xp all ok

now i've given you some info, hope you won't mind giving me a bit would be much appreciated

thanks,

Mike

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Mike,

Looks like you just copied and pasted a previous response and didn't answer my question. Can you give me some of the information I was requesting? Thank you.

Chris R
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris

In the 16:16 EST reply it states that I resolved the problem and asks as I am doing a new XP installation can i configure updates now that XP is no longer supported by Microsoft or download from somewhere.

Thanks,

Mike

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Mike I must have missed that. You should be able to get updates for XP still. From what I understand and have read you will just not get any NEW updates as it is no longer supported. All the existing updates should still be downloadable for XP via Windows Update as usual. In fact, despite Microsoft saying no new updates would be coming out, I believe they still put out a few security updates just recently. It will eventually stop for good though. Whether downloads are availablein later years I do not know. By then you should be using a new OS though. You should be good for now to get your system back up to date though. Keep in mind though that the longer you use the XP the more at risk you are since any new vulnerabilities that hackers find will not be fixed.

Is there anything else I can assist you with? If that is all please rate my service below with the smiley faces and hit the submit button. This will ensure that I receive credit for my response. Thank you and feel free to request me again at anytime if you need further assistance with anything. Take care!

Chris R
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience: BSBA CIS, A+ Certified