Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

I need help making a word document i have created look ok on

Customer Question

I need help making a word document i have created look ok on mobile devises as it currently is distorted....
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you please let me see the word document?
To do this,
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
These documents are always going to be distorted on a mobile device when they are word documents. The reason is that it needs to resize them to fit on the screen and thus has to distort them to fit it.
The only way to try to get them to appear correctly is to make them a PDF file, but then they cannot be edited on a Mobile device.
But a Mobile device is not created for viewing word documents with table structures in the same way as viewed on a computer, as a computer has a much larger screen.
Is a PDF an option? As I can make this for you if needed. But remember, it then cannot be edited.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

These are invoices and quotes so I need to be able to make changes to them. I then email them to a client and what I wish for is that if they open it on either a computer or a mobile devise that it is formatted? Is the best thing to do to send it in both word and pdf formats?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, as PDF cannot be formatted.
But word documents on mobile devices will never look like they do on computers as the screen is much smaller so it has to resize it to fit it in, thus you get the jumbled layout.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am able to open up all kinds of attachments on my mobile phone without this kind of distorting. What are my options?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
only to have it as a PDF but then it is not editable but will minimise distortion.
This is one of the reasons for the PDF format.
Any word document you make with tables will always be distorted.
I made this PDF for you to see Gemma.
http://wikisend.com/download/532732/2015-01-13_125047_this_quotation_template_in_word_works.pdf
the the fact is your trying to display a large document on a small screen within Word, which word is not made for doing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if i create my invoice in word so that i can add input and then save it as a pdf and then email it that will avoid it being distorted?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, that will avoid it and what companies do anyway as it is unprofessional to receive an invoice as a word document.
Regardless of this problem you want to send it always as a PDF that they cannot edit.
and it will avoid distortion.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand what the site link that you sent me is. Will the format remain the same if I simply change from word to pdf?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
the link was to the PDF I made of your invoice.
But yes, you can do this yourself by saving it within Word as a PDF file
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The link just takes me to a wikisend website so very confused...

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Gemma, it is a download site, which has a PDF version of your invoice that I made for you.
As I said, ignore it and just save your own invoice as a pdf file yourself please.