Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Software expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

using browser that came with XP. Advised by bank to 'upgrade'

using browser that came with XP. Advised by bank to 'upgrade' to one of the following =
Firefox Safari Chrome Opera
Which would suit my purpose best? Not interestd in films, popular music, games, puzzles etc. Purposes to be served: online banking, purchases, searches only
Category: Software
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Since you are still on windows XP you are using an outdated and unsupported version of internet explorer most likely.

This means that when websites make updates they no longer bother to make their websites compatible with that browser. Since Windows XP is unable to update to the latest version of internet explorer you will need to use a new one.

I suggest google chrome. It is the best browser out there. It is the fastest and most secure.

You can download it free at the following link: www.google.com/chrome

Please take a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the smiley faces below.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. You will have guessed that I am not into online entertainment.

I hesitate because I recall reading (somewhere!) serious criticism of Google Chrome. Can you summarise what such criticisms might be?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Everything has some criticism from someone. But I can tell you as a professional it is my primary web browser and the best out there.

But usually what someone may not like is the look and may prefer firefox or safari.

Chrome is without a doubt the fastest in terms of loading web pages. But a lot of this has to do with your personal preference.

I would say you give chrome a try and if you don't like the look or something like that try firefox next, I will say though in the latest version of firefox they made it look near identical to chrome if that tells you anything.

When you install chrome it will give you the option to import yourfavorites and settings from internet explorer so it shouldn't be to big a change for you and should just work well.

If you need more help let me know.

Thanks,
Chris