Joe-S
Joe-S, Systems Specialist
Experience:  Systems Administrator at Fortune 50 Company
68269981

Firefox is already running but not responding. The old Firefox

Customer Question

Firefox is already running but not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window. Cannot access any web page on my computer, this is my iPad!
Category: Software
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.
Joe-S :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Joe-S :

I see you are not online for chat. I will wait a few moments for you before sending you an offline message.

Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

It appears that the last instance of Firefox did not close properly. You can end the existing process by following these steps.

1. Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar, and then clicking Start Task Manager.

2. Click the Processes tab to see a list of all the processes that are currently running under your user account and a description of each process. To view all of the processes currently running on the computer, click Show processes from all users. If you're prompted for an administrator password ***** confirmation, type the password ***** provide confirmation.

3. Click the process named Firefox, and then click End Process.

This will close all background processes of Firefox and should allow you to open an new session.

Please respond back to me if this has resolved your issue and rate my service so we can close this question. If this has not fixed your problem, please let me know and I will follow-up with more solutions.

Regards,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can't see the tab under processes for firefox
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

The Tab is called Processes. Firefox would be listed in the window within that tab.

Please tell me, what version of windows are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8. There is no Firefox named under processes
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.
If more than one person uses your computer, it may be possible that it is locked under a different account. Restarting your computer should clear this problem.

Be sure you save anything you may be working on and close any visible programs.

Move your mouse to the upper right-hand corner to trigger the Charms menu (or you can use Win + C ) and then find the Settings button on there. If you’re on a tablet, you can access the right-hand menu by swiping the top right corner of the screen.

Tap or click Power, and then tap or click Restart.

After your computer restarts, there should be no active processes for Firefox.

--Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the system still will not work after following your instructions
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.
The only other option I can offer at this time is for me to access your computer remotely to fix it directly.

Other than that, the last solution is for you to completely uninstall and reinstall Firefox.

--Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox with no success. I would be willing to try you Accessing my computer remotely, to see if it can be adjusted directly. AltHough this may be difficult as explained as I can't access any browser.
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.
I'm a little confused now. Are you saying that no browser will work or just Firefox?

Can you use Internet Explorer or Chrome to Accees the web?

There may be more of an issue than just Firefox if you cannot acces the internet from any browser.
Joe-S, Systems Specialist
Experience: Systems Administrator at Fortune 50 Company
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have now managed to connect to the web, not via Firefox or Safari or Internet Explorer. But sufficient to connect to enable communication.

Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

How are you connecting?

Are there any browsers that allow you web connectivity? This could be more than just a browser issue. You could have malware that is preventing access.

Have you ran a malware scan? If not, I suggest downloading and installing malwarebytes and run a full scan.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/confirm/

Lastly, If this problem just recently began, you can also attempt to do a system restore. Are you familiar with the process?