Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

What is the best online backup service pc? I am in the

What is the best online backup service for my pc? I am in the UK and want to ensure the data is secure and the provider is reputable. I am not very pc savvy and want something easy to use that can automatically back up for me.
I have a PC and my partner has a mac but most of the data is stored on my pc.
It would be good to be able to access data remotely.
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
You will want to use Dropbox, it is the most easiest, safest and compatable service to use
What you do is go to www.dropbox.com
Click on download in the top right and install the software.
As you install it, you are asked to create an account. Do this and when it has completed setting up, you will see a new folder on your computer called Dropbox.
You just copy your files to it and they are then backed up online. It is actually best to work directly from this folder as it also versions the f
iles so for instance if you want to revert back to a previous word document, you can with this service.
What is really good is you can also install it on your phone and other devices so when you make a photo or video, it will also save it to your dropbox account and you can open it directly on the computer.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Richard.

Is Dropbox best for security too? Does it automatically backup once an account is created?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, never a break in and backup is constant and automatic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Finally, what happens to my data if I were ever to change to a different service provider?

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
nothing, thats the great thing, has nothing to do with your provider, you just need internet from someone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if I left Dropbox they would have to delete my files? Again just thinking from a security point of view that my data is safe if I change providers.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, when you close the account, they remove your files