Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 15+ years experience.
63083622

I've been told that one can change the GPS (internal or

Customer Question

I've been advised that one can change the GPS (internal or external) that an iPhone/Pad looks at for maps/charts apps etc.

I was told you can change the source in Location Services, but can't find it in Settings. Is this possible?

Category: Software
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Using the external GPS information on your ipad sort of depends on the device you're using. Which device are you trying to use with your ipad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a iLevil Sport AHRS: http://goo.gl/NdRLDD with relevant apps to make it compatible and display data on the iDevice via WiFi.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Most of the time, the app should automatically pull info from a compatible device. If it doesn't you can try going into Settings, then privacy, then turn location services off. Once you do that, reboot the iPad. Once it's back up, connect to the iLevil device wifi network as described in the user guide. Then go back into Settings, then privacy, then turn location services back on. See if that works and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - I'll try that and report back.

However, how does the iDevice (or I) know whether it's taking the GPS data from the AHRS or it's internal GPS receiver?

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
It depends on the app you're using. Some may give an indication, some may not. iOS doesn't seem to provide any indication that it's using external GPS information but in the case of the iLevil, it wouldn't anyway because it's being received via WiFi. Apple has always been a little funny about locking down their hardware in this way. I don't mean this to sound like Apple bashing (I have both an iPhone and iPad Air) but they tend to act like their equipment is infallible and will operate under any condition so they make it very difficult for developers and 3rd Party device manufacturers to sidestep their built in hardware services (like location and GPS).
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Hence why Levil chose to go the route of channeling the info through wifi... which obviously has its disadvantages as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks for the detailed information - I'll report back.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
ok, let me know