A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

Windows 10 installation failed. Error message 'Ox(###) ###-####Ox

Windows 10 installation failed. Error message 'Ox(###) ###-####Ox 30018. 'The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSREP operation' - any help available?
Category: Software
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! The error your computer is reporting that is causing the failed upgrade is typically linked to some anti-virus or firewall software installed on your computer. Were you on Win 7, 8, or 8.1 before? Do you know (if any) antivirus or firewall software is installed (IE. Norton, AVG, McAfee, etc.)
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have Norton anti-virus installed. The upgrade got as far as dowloading Windows 10 and had completed copying my existing files. It then tried to re-boot before setting up the new Windows 10 files. The progress dial showed it had completed 32% of the total installation before it appeared to freeze. The only way of getting out was to take out the battery and restart. At restart it reloaded the original Windows 7 and gave the message I quoted in the original post.

Can I disable Norton and then retry?

Chris

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
I would try uninstalling Norton completely and then giving it a try. Then whether or not it does work you can always re install Norton later
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried what you suggested with the same result and the same error message as at the top of the page.

It gets to the 'Upgrading Windows' screen and appears to complete the 'Copied Files' section. It then seems to crash at 32% complete and completes 6% of the'Installing features and devices' section.

As mentioned before, the only way to restart is to remove the battery and it then re-loads the previous Windows 7.

Any more ideas?

Best regards

Chris

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Chris - what version of W7 are you upgrading from? Is it Home Premium, Professional, 32 or 64 bit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is Professional 32 bit and the download is Windows 10 Pro

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Do you know of any other "cleanup" or "tuneup" utilities you might have installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did have RegHunter and SpyHunter but they disappeared during the process. I have only just reloaded RegHunter. I also just noticed a Mcafee security scan plus which I have uninstalled.

After the last 'failure' I reloaded Norton

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
I would uninstall all of these utilities, reboot, and then try the Win 10 upgrade again. The error code you mentioned is specific to tuneup and antivirus software so I believe it must be one of those that is causing the error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Failed at the same spot I'm afraid. I removed all of the above as suggested. The following screenshots are the programme files listed on this computer. Are there anymore you think should be deleted, or do you have any other suggestions?

Chris

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
I would also remove "Avast"
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
I would also remove "Avast"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have you come across them before?

I don't know how it got on to the system and it is now asking for a password ***** I can uninstall

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
It is a normal antivirus software yes, but I am not sure about any password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I managed to remove the Avast and ran it again, It still 'froze' in exactly the same spot!

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Very odd...might need to do a clean install of W7 first and then try to upgrade...might have some registry issues preventing the error
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I try to do this I noticed that Windows updated Service Pack 1 last night and I seem to recall that this was a critical part of Windows 10 upgrade. I downloaded a fresh version of the 10 upgrade and started running it a few minutes ago.

It stopped and gave the attached message.

Does this mean anything to you?

Chris

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Do you get this error when trying to activate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that's right. I decided to load a clean version of Windows 7, as you suggested, and the 10 loaded fine after that, so all is well

Thanks for your help

Chris

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Chris , great glad that worked! Have a great day glad I was able to assist