A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

I got error 0xC004C003 after downloading W10 so can't personalize

I got error 0xC004C003 after downloading W10 so can't personalize my PC only got part of my product key ending in -8HVX7 cleaned up with PCpro can Iget this to complete my usage
Category: Software
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!Just want to clarify, your windows 10 installation is complete at this time or not yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
download complete and can use partially but I can't actovate Windows ie can't personalize it
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Did you do a clean install of W10 or an upgrade install from W7?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
upgrade from W7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reserved the free download for W10 then downloaded when requested
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Typically this error comes when you do a clean W10 installation...so you said you do have your Win 7 license key?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you go to : Go to Start , then select Settings > Update & security > Activation
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
up comes error message also end of my productkey *****-8HVX7( then tells me to either change my product key(which I don't have)or go to store
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Do you see a W7 license key sticker on your computer? Would look like this: http://www.ecplaza.net/trade-leads-seller/windows-7-ult-oem-coa--7228827.html
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes my one is for Vista which I upgraded about 3yrs ago and had the product key with it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry product key for W7 which I have now
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
So can you try to change to that W7 product key?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you try to activate it tells you ,you can't do this
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
You mean after changing to that product key already?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in how to activate it tells you not to use your W7 product key as it won't work presumably they mean the new product key for W10 which because of error Idon't haveby the way I'm 77 might be a bit slow on the jargon
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
No problem. So could you provide me the W7 product key so that I can check its eligibility for upgrade to W10? Based on what you mentioned earlier about having upgraded from Vista, I think that it might be possible that your particular W7 key is not eligible for a free upgrade
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
M979V-CWYV9-DCVQ9-8Q2R8-HK83H for W7
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if that W7 key is for upgrade and not the full install?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it came with the upgrade DVD for W7 Home Premium
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
So I am afraid what is happening is that W10 is trying to use the information from the Vista key to activate, and since vista is not eligible to upgrade that is why you are getting this error
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that mean end of
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Yes you would either need to revert to Win 7 or purchase a license from the Microsoft Store. I'm going to be honest with you, you might be better off sticking to Win 7, Windows 10 is very buggy and troublesome because it just was released...may want to wait for some updates and fixes to release before upgrading anyways
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks anyway for your time it was in my mind to go into reverse thanks again
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
I hope I was able to help you today. If you are satisfied with my answer, rating my answer with positive feedback with the stars above would be greatly appreciated. If you do have any additional questions please do feel free to post them here. Thank you for using Just Answer! Have a Great Day!