Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  15+ years experience in troubleshooting
8287049

UK BROADBAND SPEEDS - what difference would I notice between

Customer Question

UK BROADBAND SPEEDS - what difference would I notice between 63Mb-80Mb BT superfast fibre optic and Sky 36Mb fibre optic broadband?
I watch iplayer, blinkbox films, netflix, YouTube etc.
On the web, I mainly surf websites, I might download and upload some zip files and images and music, watch YouTube videos and watch videos from online courses that I am doing. My partner will also be building websites with wordpress so uploading content, image files etc.
I am currently with BT with 63-80Mb but comparing to Sky's fibre optic which only has speeds of 36Mb max.
Would I notice the difference in speed and should I stick with BT's faster speeds?
Category: Software
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for the question. In all honesty you probably wont notice much of a difference between 36Mb and the super fast 63Mb-80Mb service. The only thing I can imagine needing something that fast for would be streaming 4k content if you have a 4k TV. Otherwise, surfing the web, watching YouTube, Netflix, etc...36Mb/s would be more than sufficient. If however, you regularly download large files like full DVD/Blu-Rays, you may want to opt for the faster connection. I get about 35Mb/s on Xfinity's fastest home internet connection available, and there's nothing I am limited by (including downloading large files at rates about as fast as my hard drive can copy it). Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist further. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ben, thanks for your very helpful answer.

So to clarify, if I am surfing websites and watching videos etc, going with Sky's slower speed I wouldn't notice any difference in the speed of pages loading?

I'm worried about buffering when watching videos, iplayer etc. As I am moving home, so whichever I go with I will be tied for 12 months so just double checking before I commit! I will also be working from home for a period of a few months so will be very reliant on a good broadband connection.

I still wouldn't worry about buffering if you're actually going to get the speeds promised. That is probably one thing to make sure of, but it's often difficult to do that before buying the service. If you know anyone with the same service, have them run a speed test using speedtest.net and check the results. If you're getting the speeds promised you'll have no issue with buffering while watching videos. Having said that, one thing I've read about sky is that their speeds are inconsistent and often not delivering the speeds promised, in which case you'd likely encounter buffering while watching movies. Nowadays though, most streaming content providers are accommodating of issues like this and have much better algorithms to prevent buffering (Netflix being one of them). I still see no problem with Sky as long as the speeds are going to be generally reliable, and if not you shouldn't have any problem getting out of a contract that they've already broken by not delivering speeds promised. Let me know if you have any questions. I hope it helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ben

I have another question regarding this which I can ask as a new question to you. If you are available, please can you reply to this message to let me know you are online so I can send the question directly to you.

Many thanks.

Mary

Hi Mary,I'm on now so please feel free to request me and I'll reply. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ben

Sorry I missed you, was tied up but online now myself so please can you let me know when you are back on and I will send the question straight to you.

Thanks,

Mary

Hi Mary,I'm here and will be for a while. Whenever you're ready. Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ben

Your status shows offline so I can't send the question to you. Is it possible to refresh your status please.

Mary

Can you try now? Thanks,