Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

This is a question about SMS texting with UK providers. I have

This is a question about SMS texting with UK providers. I have an iPhone.
Quite often I send an SMS text to a person's mobile phone, using their phone number, but the reply from them is from an email address.
Why is this? I don't understand the system they are using.
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
iPhones can do texting via imessenger which prefers to run over data as this is much more cost effective.
One reason for this is when you text an iphone user, they reply and the iPhone sends it via iMessenger instead of over the SMS network.
iMessenger uses the email address as the ID, which is why you are seeing it.
If your getting it with other phones they may be using a different app and if you tell me which phones they are using, I can see which app they can be using for this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, Richard.

So when I send a text message from my iPhone, does it show my email address at the recipient's end?

I don't (knowingly) use iMessenger.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If they are using an iPhone and they have you as a contact then yes,Its all automatic, as the programming for any messaging on the iPhone (not emailing) is imessengerIt saves a lot of costs in the long run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But if I text them for the first time, and they don't know who I am, and won't have me as an existing contact, am I (unwittingly) revealing my email address (assuming iPhones at both ends)?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It depends on how its set upGo to settings on the iPhone. Go to the 'Messages' settings. And select Receive At.See what it says there. It should be your phone number not Apple ID or email.If you have a Apple email listed. You can remove it by.Clicking the 'Apple ID***@******.***' You will get a popup which lets sign out thus removing the mac email address so they do not see it.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
actually you said NEW contactNo, if they do not have your email they will not get it
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
only contacts that have your email already, see it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks, Richard.