lexx3218
lexx3218, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert in computer hardware and software applications.
46034742

I have successfully updated to windows 10 and activated but

Customer Question

I have successfully updated to windows 10 and activated but then my motherboard fried. Now, having changed the motherboard I am told that the installation is invalid and even using my windows 7 product code will not allow me to re activate the installation.
How can I prove that this is my original upgrade and is the only machine on which it is installed.
Category: Software
Expert:  lexx3218 replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. First it's failing because Microsoft does not recognize the new motherboard configuration which is why it's not activated. You would need to go back to windows 7 or reinstall it and then run the upgrade from windows 7 again. Is your machine currently booted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  lexx3218 replied 2 years ago.
First let's try and go back to windows 7. Right click on the start menu and then click on control panel. Once in there you should see something that says backup and restore windows 7. Let me know once you are there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok i'm there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still waiting for your assistance but am being asked for further payments. what is going on?
Expert:  lexx3218 replied 2 years ago.
First let's try and go back to windows 7. Right click on the start menu and then click on control panel. Once in there you should see something that says backup and restore windows 7. Let me know once you are there. Don't worry about that you don't owe anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I understand but I am still waiting for your assistance
Expert:  lexx3218 replied 2 years ago.
Ok did you get my last instruction?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i'm waiting to proceed with the restore
Expert:  lexx3218 replied 2 years ago.
Ok what options did it give you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A number of restore dates how do I know which is the correct one?
Expert:  lexx3218 replied 2 years ago.
Choose a date you know for a fact you were using windows 7.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there are none
Expert:  lexx3218 replied 2 years ago.

That's not good because if that is the case it means it remove all recovery points which would mean if available it would need be factory reset and then you would need to run the windows 10 upgrade. Is this machine custom built or is there a make and model number for this machine?