Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

I keep getting a message " Server timed out" and cannot access

Customer Question

I keep getting a message " Server timed out" and cannot access my mail box
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please which mail service you are using? eg: Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail?
And how exactly are you accessing them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using Outlook and I am accessing it via Google Chrome/microsoft 365 log in
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
To be sure it is not an issue with your account, open Internet Explorer and try to access it with this.
Do you get the same error?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard I cannot determine this. I have 2 mail boxes (***@******.*** and***@******.***)
Previously I accessed them through outlook/Microsoft login.
In addition I have a tablet through which I also access and that remains unimpaired.
When I set up the tablet I created a Microsoft account and I think my issue lies somewhere here but until today I had no problem using 365 login. Now when I try to use login I am referred to the Microsoft account and I cannot get in.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok.. sorry a little confused by the response.
To clarify on what I asked before.
You access the account via Google Chrome and it is via Google Chrome, accessing this account you get the error?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Via Google I get to the Outlook screen where I type in my address and password, having done so I get the message timed out. When I try via Explorer I get the problem of denied access.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so you did try Internet Explorer.
When you say denied access, you mean it would not accept your password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. But even in the past week when I have managed to access this it just shows an almost blank screen and invites me to migrate mail???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you reset the password ***** the account here please as this can be a security issue you are having
https://secure.business.bt.com/ForgotPassword/Index
Once done, then use this new password ***** signing in via Internet Explorer.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard - the password ***** is to do with the Microsoft account as distinct from the 2 BT mail accounts
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... not being a hassle but please be very clear in your responses to me, as when you add new information, it confuses things.
So whats the email address for the one with the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
***@******.******@******.***
Both these mail boxes work on my tablet but today I cannot gain access via my laptop.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... so why are you talking about a microsoft account then?
Why cant you do the instructions I just gave?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard - I am sorry this is confusing. When I go to microsoft login, either on Google or Internet explorer I get the Office 365 login screen. This may come up either as g2 or g.davy. When I type in my normal passwords for these accounts the next screen says
"The server operation timed out. Please try again later"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, these are btconnect accounts so please do the password ***** instructions I gave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard - if I type in the wrong passwords it rejects them. There is no rejection when I type in my existing passwords correctly, but I get the timed out message. Do I still need to change the passwords?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I am sorry but this is requiring a huge amount of effort on my side to just get some simple actions done.... I will have to opt out of working with you soon if we cannot get to a level of understanding on the issue. I am just not accustomed to this sorry.
But Ill try again
Here is what you have told me in essence
Problem logging onto account with Chrome
I asked you to sign in with Internet Explorer
You said "When I try via Explorer I get the problem of denied access."
I asked you to clarify and you said it rejects your password.
So now I am asking you to reset the password ***** sign in with internet explorer.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard - I will accept your offer - with alacrity!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Installed Richard.
ID is###-##-####Password ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, the screen seems to be asking me for your ID as well as the one above? What should I do?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
connected