Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

Just updated to Windows 10 and updated Office 365 to 2016 version.

Customer Question

just updated to Windows 10 and updated Office 365 to 2016 version. Outlook 2016 does not now work. I've looked at lots of so called help pages and tried different SMTP, POP3 and IMAP configurations but it seems like there is an autodiscover issue but I don't know where to go from there.
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please exactly how it does not work?
What specific error do you receive?
And which email service are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I click on Outlook 2016
It opens to Welcome to Outlook 2016
It asks do you want to set up outlook to connect to an email account - I click yes
It asks for Name, email address and password (twice) which I enter
It then says it is co0mpleting the set up
"Establishing Network Connection" gets a green tick
"Searching for***@******.*** settings" takes a while but then an exclamation mark comes up with "An encrypted to your mail server is not available, click next to try unencrypted connection"
Click Next to try that
It does the same long search then says we are having trouble verifying and asks to check my email address which is correctMy email is basically Hotmail but with a live.com address
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you go to www.hotmail.com
Can you sign into your account there still? As it may be requiring verification
Please sign into it, then once done, try to add it into Outlook
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
else Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can sign into Hotmail, no problem
How do I "add it into Outlook"???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok.. sorry a little confused with your response.
I gave a set of instructions and it is not clear if you did them.
Did you review my last message and do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused with your response.You said - Can you sign into your account there still? As it may be requiring verification - I answered yes I canYou said - Please sign into it, then once done, try to add it into Outlook - which I did and then I asked "How do I add it into Outlook?"I don't want to pay an extra £28 so want to continue doing it via the chat system
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The way you were before, by letting it automatically detect, I want to see if it can now that it detected you signing in from the same computer.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So just try to open Outlook 2016 from the start again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, as you signed into Hotmail, it stops any security blocks that can prevent outlook adding it.
So now try to add it and let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still logged into Outlook,com (Hotmail) and have tried to open Outlook 2016 but get the same response as above
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** try to manually add it.
You see the option when adding an account to manually add it.
Choose this and use these settings please
Incoming (IMAP) Server
Server address: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993
Encrypted Connection: SSL
Outgoing (SMTP) Server
Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
Authentication: Yes
Encrypted Connection: TLS
The ports and encryption you see under More Settings.
Make sure to enable authentication for outgoing server and use the same settings as the incoming server.
It should then add this way.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work. - tried all the different port variations.
Error Messages
Log on to incoming email server (IMAP) Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible cause include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivitySend test message An unknown error occurred, error code 0x800cce05
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)
A black window opens
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then try to add it automatically again.
If this fails try manually.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just running that now
As you say, it may take a while, but will report back.If Windows restarts - how do I get back in touch with you???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
return to this page and post a message please, like you are doing now, and it will then come back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chkdsk is still running.
I have to go to bed, will leave it running overnight.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and till tomorrow
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
How did you go today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to auto add, thus morning but it did not work.
I will try setting it up manually tonight after work and report back.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'm up and running on Outlook but my inbox is not up to date and/or is missing some email and my calendar does not show my iPhone which is my main calendar. Do I just have to wait to see if it all catches up?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, give it some time to synch. If it added it it should sycnh everything.
What though do you mean with my calendar does not show my iPhone which is my main calendar.
How is that set up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the email accounts have just updated so that is fixed.I always used the Outlook Calendar system which showed my iPhone and iPad calendars as well as the default Outlook one. These are no longer there. I'm wondering if I have to sync my phone with my pc again.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you will so its added to outlook.
But that's outside of the hotmail which is why they are not yet showing.
you would be best using the hotmail calendar on the phone as then its all wireless, but then you need to start a new calendar.
But great we got it connected to hotmail, was a combination of an issue with the automatic detection and corruption on the computer.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll just try to get the iPhone synced and set up and then I will do the star rating.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks