swmcdonnell
swmcdonnell, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Steve has many years of experience in software development.
47680681

This is a self-hosted WordPress question. I've started to

This is a self-hosted WordPress question.
I've started to use a theme called The Producer - see: http://goo.gl/eWT5z7 to display some Vimeo videos. Although in theory this theme includes support, it's not easy to see how to get support, although one link explains there's a 7-day wait for replies, even if there was a way of posting the question.
There is a link to documentation, but it doesn't answer what I need to know.
I need to delete what appears to be a complete page, but it's not obvious whether it's part of the default home page or a collection of separate links and fields (Categories, Recent Posts, Search Site, Recent Comments, Archives).
I need advice on how to do this. However I'd prefer not post the url to the site in question in public. Can I communicate with an expert privately?
Category: Software
Expert:  swmcdonnell replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** can help you with your WordPress theme issue. Are you online now?
To provide me with the URL to the site, go to https://cloakmy.org, type it in the message box, assign a password, and have it destroyed after I read it (which is the default). Then paste the link in here and I can see what the URL is. You also might want to set up a temporary admin user for me in case I need to log in and take a look. I took a glance at the theme, but I need to know what page you're talking about. Please chat me back and we'll get a solution to your problem. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for the reply, Steve

Here's the link to cloakmy.org:

https://cloakmy.org/r/n5nzakds/Gj8HAdcK277LzqSO3WJPpOO0

and password *****: 1q2w3e4R!!

I'll explain my question in a following post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure where this is going to appear in our conversation, but this is to clarify what I am trying to do on this WP website.

The home page is slightly unconventional, as it is in 3 'folds'. The top fold has the title and background image; the 2nd fold has the Vimeo login and Contents; the 3rd fold has the Search Box, Categories, Recent Posts, Recent Comments and Archives, none of which I need.

What I would like to achieve is:

Delete the 3rd fold, as we're not using anything on it, except, perhaps the copyright line at the very bottom of the fold/page. I have just found out how to delete Categories, Recent Posts etc. - I hadn't realised they are called widgets.

However, doing this, I'm not sure whether this is going to affect the design of subsequent pages, but I can't see I'm going to use Recent Post, Recent Comments etc. on further pages

My aim, in short, is to end up with minimalist website, simply displaying video clips, and, at this stage, little else.

So, I'd like to delete that 3rd fold (bottom third of the home page)

I hope that makes sense.

Hi Richard,Thanks for sending me the info and a detailed description of what you're trying to accomplish. Just to let you know that I got everything and I'm looking at it now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for the update, Steve.

Hi Richard, I changed the template for the page you created to Static Wide Page and I think that took care of it for you. Have a look and chat me back.
Also, when we're done, if what I did answered you question, can you please accept the answer and rate me, because otherwise I don't get paid anything for helping you. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's great, Steve - thank you.

Could you let me know, however briefly, where/how you changed the template?

Then I won't have to ask again!

Rgds

Richard L.

I looked at the code, but I didn't have to change it. Both of the static page templates (regular and wide) are totally empty templates that don't include anything extra in them at all. You want the wide version. The regular version would put a sidebar on the right, which is essentially the same as the third fold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks!

If you did have to or want to modify the template, choose Appearance and then Editor from the Dashboard menu, and select the PHP file for the template you want to change. Glad it worked out. Good luck with the site!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks, again.

R

You're very welcome, and thank you very much for the bonus! I sincerely ***** ***** P.S. . I need to be the last person to make a comment here or the system thinks that you're waiting on me for a response and won't let me do anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve, I haven't worked on the website since you tweaked it, but it seems to have 'collapsed' slightly, whichever browser I use.

The Continue feature, at the bottom of the page has disappeared, and the tagline has bunched up against the title. the 'folding' feature on the Home Page has disappeared as well.

Could you please look at it again, and, if necessary, replace to the original version?

Addenda

It is now 2220gmt, and I am now working on the site, to return it to its state before we started on the above adjustments. I have to do this now as it is being used by my relative in the Far East tomorrow (they are GMT+7) and I have no access to the internet tomorrow.

2230gmt

Current situation is that I deleted the theme, and uploaded the original again. Unfortunately the theme has taken on the problems that I have noted above. I don't know how to return it to the original display.

Please, as a matter of urgency, can you either repair the revised theme, or return it to the original display, as it is now not functioning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please ignore my request above.

It is now 2310gmt

I am restoring the site to 12 hours ago, with the help of my website hosting company tech support, so please don't access the backend of the website.

Hey there, sorry about that, yes I'll have another look. It's probably because the page template doesn't have anything in it at all, and you're comparing it to a page that had other portions. Probably what I will do is duplicate the page onto a second page, and apply the Default template to that page. Then what you'll need to do is identify the things that changed that you don't want to changed, and then bring that portion of the code back into the blank template. I'll hit you back in a few minutes.
Except I didn't keep the URL or password ***** the site. Sorry, but can you send those to me again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a website to display a showreel, for a potential student for film school, and being sent to tutors on Monday.(UK time). I can't afford to take the risk of the site not functioning by then, so I've restored the installation to 24hrs ago, when it was displaying OK without major errors.

We'll give up on the idea of the above customisation request. I'm not sure how to delete this question thread, so please can you arrange to have it removed?