Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Familiar with a wide variety of software and experienced in user training/support
65126503

I have windows 10.I cannot get the mouse arrow to "transform"

Customer Question

I have windows 10.
I cannot get the mouse arrow to "transform" into a cursor and enter the password ***** consequently I cannot start windows. If I try the laptop pad, the cursor "dances" around the textbox and seems to be rejected!!
Category: Software
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi Malcolm. My name is***** your for your question and the opportunity to assist. Restoring your system to an earlier dateshould resolve this issue. This will not affect your files or programs.Start or restart the laptop such that you are looking at the login screen (but don't try to log in yet)While holding down the Shift key click the Power icon in the lower right corner and select Restart.Release the Shift key when you see "Please wait"From the Choose an Option screen select TroubleshootOn the Troubleshoot page select Advanced optionsUnder Advanced Options select System RestoreSystem Restore will begin preparing.Select your user account name, enter your password ***** click Continue.When System Restore starts click Next.Select a restore date just prior to when this issue began.Click Next, then Finish.When the restore has completed and the laptop restarted check that you can now log in.Let me know the result please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that, nothing happens!!
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I see. What is the brand and model number of your laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell Inspiron
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Do you have a model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell Inspiron 1545, model No. PP41L
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do you have a corded USB mouse you can connect to the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I use a wireless plug and play mouse
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if the other experts have any ideas on this. You'll receive an email notification when one responds.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Are you still able to move the mouse pointer normally and position it in the password ***** but it will not allow you to insert there to type your password?Or are you no longer able to move the mouse pointer?Can you please confirm that the mouse is working and that it does not need a new battery?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing wrong with the mouse
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked that the mouse is working in another computer? Or are you able to move the mouse pointer normally while in the login screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and yes. There is nothing wrong with the mouse!!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
On the login screen, please press TAB key until the cursor is in the password ***** Then type your password ***** sign in to your Windows 10. Then see if the mouse os working past the login screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure you understand the problem I have here! I will endeavour to elucidate.
After switching on the machine, a screen with a large blue "radiant" window appears, my email address is in the middle and below that is a textbox with the word "Password" in it and an arrow pointing to the right,
I can place the mouse arrow in this box with the mouse, but it doesn't at any time change into a cursor so that I can type my password.If I unplug the mouse and try using the pad and buttons built into the laptop, the arrow "dances" around the textbox and seems to be almost actively repelled from it!I hope you can now appreciate the extent of the problem.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I understand the scenario you described. If the mouse is non responsive when you try to insert it in the password ***** then your only option to enter the password ***** ***** keyboard. Please press the TAB key in the keyboard while you are on the login screen and you shall notice highlight or selection moving on the objects on the screen. Press TAB until the insertion point is in the password ***** Type the password ***** sign in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess, I only wish it were that simple! NOTHING moves or highlights. What exactly do you expect to move when I press "Tab"?There is nothing that can move.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. In my case, I can see shadow of highlights so I know what is happening when pressing tab. While in the login screen, please press Ctrl+Alt+Del and tell me what you've got on screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely nothing happens Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's difficult for me to say as I have nothing to compare with, but it could be that the word "Password" and the symbols in the bottom RH corner of screen are "greyed out"
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
So it appears that it is not only your mouse is NOT working, also your keyboard.I have see a lot of people having this issue after Windows 10 upgrade and the only way to get back in is by using a PS/2 mouse. Please check if your computer has a PS/2 slot to accommodate a PS/2 mouse. It looks like this:http://www.ps2mouse.com/images/PS2_Mouse2.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife can probably bring one home from her office Can I contact you tomorrow morning or should I wait for contact from you?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, we can resume by then. All you need to do is to plug that PS/2 mouse into the slot in the computer and then turn on the computer. The PS/2 mouse shall work and you shall be able to login.Now, if you have a PS/2 keyboard also, that will be useful IF the keyboard you are using now is NOT working.We can resume tomorrow then. Just reply to me here tomorrow to resume.