Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

My Microsoft 10 Outlook (Mail) opens seconds then

Customer Question

Hi, my Microsoft 10 Outlook (Mail) opens for five seconds then closes down by itself
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Is it giving you an error when it shuts? Or just dissapears?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just disappears
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, press ALT + Tab on the keyboard and tab through all running programs.
Does it appear in the list?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that Alt and shift, Alt and control? Nio key marked Tab
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No its ALT Tab, Tab is next to Q with the 2 arrows on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just shows this conversation and my Skype
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Can you do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then tell me if you still have the issue
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
else Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Slow - at 3%
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, can take some time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll message you when 100%
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scan complete - want to hear what it says?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No its ok, just complete the rest of the instructions and tell me if it now opens correctly please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not solved - mail still opens then vanishes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you ran both commands right?
sfc /scannow
and
chkdsk /r
as per my instructions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, forgot to restart computer. But if I restart, how do I maintain this conversation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct, ran both programmes as requested
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to restart, as it has not run the second scan, as per my instructions
Then you return to this web page, you can press CTRL + D to add it to your favorites.