Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

I have a Toshiba Satellite C50-A-1DV laptop, I have downloaded

i have a Toshiba Satellite C50-A-1DV laptop, I have downloaded the free windows 10 upgrade, but all I am getting is a grey blank screen with cursor and it won't do anything. Can you help?
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you remove the power adapter then hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.
Then connect the power adapter, turn on the Toshiba and tell me if it now starts correctly please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done as you said but am still getting the blank screen, when I turn the laptop on It goes to the windows screen and I am able to put in my password ***** then the screen goes blank with just a cursor
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
At the sign in screen, do not sign in but hold the SHIFT key down and with it held down, click on the power icon and then click Restart.
Keep shift held down until it has restarted and your at a menu.
Choose Troubleshoot, then Advance, then System Restore.
Follow the onscreen steps and perform a system restore from the last restore point.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you can now sign into windows correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a window which says system restore, restore system files and settings, I have clicked next then the next window says restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event, but I am unable to click next, this button isn't highlighted
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, make sure you select a date in the list then you can select next.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now have a window which says confirm your restore point so I assume I click finish?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completed the system restore successfully, clicked restart, then I was able to sign in, then another window said system restore was successful so I clicked finish but now the screen has gone blank again with just the cursor.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now disconnect the power cable, hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release.
Then connect the power cable and turn it on and tell me what now happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still the same process, turned it back on, was able to type in my password ***** the screen just went blank again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you will need to do a reset of the installation.
this will not touch your files but your programs you will need to reinstall again, you cannot avoid this sorry.
To do this, go back to the menu where you choose Troubleshoot, then choose Reset My PC. Choose to keep your files, let it complete and when it has, tell me please if it then starts correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's finished the reset but is now Installing Windows, it's stuck on 15% at the moment, is it normal for it to take this long?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes can take some time unfortunately. It will complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard,
I am now talking to you from my own laptop, it's working, thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect!
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do Richard and thank you again.