jhannell
jhannell, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax
14934061

This is a WordPress question. I am trying to add a 19-page

Customer Question

This is a WordPress question. I am trying to add a 19-page Word document (also available as PDF), consisting of text and images, as one page of a WordPress site.
I've uploaded the documents to the website, both as WordPress and PDF, and used the Add Media facility to publish on the page I've chosen.
However, the content doesn't appear without clicking a link to the WordPress url to the uploaded content. In other words, it doesn't appear as a genuine page of the website. This means it's not easy to embed links to other internet material, nor to navigate around the original site.
Is there any way of converting .docx or pdf to the native WordPress html? I guess that could generate problems with document images and positions?
Category: Software
Expert:  jhannell replied 1 year ago.

hello sir/madam,

unfortunately we cannot add word/pdf files directly in wordpress.

we need to copy the text, and paste it into wordpress.

we also need to save each image in word/pdf and then use the add media facility to add the images one by one.

do you know how to extract images from word/pdf to your computer so you can upload them separately?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I guess with the images I would save each one as a JPEG, on my (Win7) PC, and upload in sequence to the WP site's media library.

However, on a document this size it would be very time-consuming,and I thought there might be a quicker way, hence the original question.

Expert:  jhannell replied 1 year ago.
hi again, are there many images in the document?
Expert:  jhannell replied 1 year ago.
what is the extension of the document? (docx?) if yes, we can easily exract the images
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, many images, or varying quality. I guess right-click and save, or I could use Snagit.

Anyway, thanks for your original answer, and that's going to help a lot.

Expert:  jhannell replied 1 year ago.

it is an option. but there is better solution.

can you SAVE AS your document as HTML?

when you do that, it will create a FOLDER that stores the images

(just open that folder and you will see the images in the folder)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I can save as html - I'll do that, and report back in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I converted to html, and ended up with an html folder (via Zamzar) of 4mb.

How do I use it on a WordPress page? Or even view it with a Chrome browser?

Expert:  jhannell replied 1 year ago.
inside the HTML folder, you should see the images. do you see them? (probably in JPG format)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid I don't know how to open the html folder. If I click on it, it's just a very large bunch of characters - it doesn't look like html.

The converted file was in the format filename.html.zip

Expert:  jhannell replied 1 year ago.

can you open your document file normaly and let me know.

we will need to use the save as method to save it as html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've downloaded a 30-day trial version of Acrobat Pro DC, and saved the PDF file (after editing) as an HTML page.

However, how do I use this to import into my WordPress page?

I can use Add Media, or Code perhaps? I can open it OK, unlike the previous attempt, and view it as html.

Expert:  jhannell replied 1 year ago.
can you open the word document?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I can open the Word document, but surely what we need for the WordPress site is the html, which I now have as a web page in html format.

If I simply paste the html file in the text section of a new page in WordPress, then I can read the text, but the images are obviously not uploading.

The PDF file is more accurate than the Word file, when it comes to dealing with the images, I would have thought.

Expert:  jhannell replied 1 year ago.
when you open the word document, are you able to see the images?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is getting anywhere, I'm afraid. I have edited in Word, converted to PDF, and that's what I'm using.

I would like to close this thread as I've not had an answer to my original questions, and I've solved it by working through alternatives over the last 3 days.