IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I realise that Windows 10 is considered a useful improvement,

I realise that Windows 10 is considered a useful improvement, and a considerable advance over Win8. However my reasons for not immediately upgrading my Win 7 PCs are as follows:
1) Bugs are inevitable, and as my work is important, I'd rather wait until they had been stamped out. 3-4 months seems reasonable.
2) I use many software utilities, some produced by modest volume outfits, and I can't assume they are all suitable for Win 10. I haven't heard from any of them - whether that's good or bad I don't know.
3) I have a dozen items of external hardware, including printers, scanners, USB drives - is there any reason to assume that all my drives are up-to-date for Win 10?
4) When one agrees to accept Win 10, one agrees for M'soft to have access to any file on one's PCs. I don't want that - simple.
Are any of these caveats unreasonable?
Category: Software
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** your comments mentioned here are completely understandable. Windows 10 has both advantages and disadvantages over the previous Windows versions. However, at this point, I can say it has more disadvantages since many of the software and hardware are not compatible with Windows 10. As a Computer Expert, my advice is not to rush with upgrade since it can be done any time in the future, although Microsoft may tell you the free upgrade is available only for a limited amount of time. They just want as many people as possible to use their new Windows. The same goes for other Microsoft product such as Microsoft Office. If you are fine with Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 where all the installed software and hardware are working, then I don't see a reason to upgrade to Windows 10. If you do choose to upgrade, you can expect compatibility issues and you will most likely need to spend both the time and money to configure the installed software and hardware in order to work with Windows 10. I have already witnessed many cases where some older printers don't work in Windows 10. They are being detected, but the drivers just cannot be installed. Both the Microsoft and the printer manufacturer tell that they don't have drivers for such printers, and that they don't plan to issue them at all. So, a fully working printer needs to be replaced with a new printer just because Windows 10 says so. The same goes for "old" software. Suddenly, you need to purchase a newer version in order to be compatible with Windows 10. If you are fine with that, you can upgrade to Windows 10 right away. If not, my advice is to wait with the upgrade. However, I am not sure if the situation will be any better within the next couple of months. We can just hope that many of the existing software and hardware will be compatible with Windows 10. Let me know if you require further assistance. Regards,IT Miro