ITPeter
ITPeter,
30970729

This is a question about data usage on a 3G Mobile WiFi.I

This is a question about data usage on a 3G Mobile WiFi.
I have a requirement to receive data from a remote weather station, which needs to run via WiFi to display data via a website to be viewed on iPhone/Android/PC hardware.
In order to provide WiFi I intend to use a TP-Link 3G Mobile WiFi unit Model No. M5350, with known 3G coverage.
What concerns me is the cost of 3G data, which we need to keep to a minimum.
I plan to restrict the flow of data from the weather station by using a timing mechanism (in other words sampling conditions every 30mins, during daylight hours rather than 24/7)).
So my basic question is what sort of data usage is likely to occur when the TP-Link unit is not receiving data from the weather station and not connected to any other hardware?
In a simple experiment, the TP-Link unit is still recording usage when not receiving data from any source and I don't understand this.
Is there background usage when a 3G WiFi unit is not being used to transmit data?
Category: Software
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Depending on what type of equipment you are using at the weather station, it may be downloading updates or using up the data in some other way. There is likely to be some kind of background data usage from most devices. If you are concerned that this may be pushing you over a set data limit, then you could connect the 3G mobile WiFi unit to a timer, so that it only powers on at the times when you are expecting data to be sent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

However, as I said above:

This is without any device, including the weather station, logged into the WiFi unit, and I was looking for an explanation as to why it was logging data.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
The TP-Link itself will be receiving firmware updates, etc and this can use up a small amount of data.