Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I have just purchased a HP Pavilion with windows 10 pre-installed. I

Customer Question

I have just purchased a HP Pavilion with windows 10 pre-installed.
I am trying to set up my Hotmail account using the Mail app. but it is not updating and tells me the account needs attention.
When I click on the triangle against Outlook in the left hand task pane it fails to 'fix' the problem quoting an error code 0x80070426.
When I try and open Outlook through Internet Explorer it takes ages but does eventually get there.
Any help in resolving this issue would be appreciated.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Do you already have a lot of emails in your @hotmail.com or @outlook.com email account?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, have a fair few, all saved in various folders.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information.First, we need to confirm if the problem is with your account or only with your browser. I suggest that you use a better browser, say Chrome or Firefox. Do you have any of these 2 installed already? If yes, please use Firefox or Chrome and try to access your Hotmail there and see if it is also very slow.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just installed Chrome as suggested and it opens outlook much quicker, as you suggested it would. However, this doesn't solve the problem of opening mail directly from the mail icon in the start screen. Any ideas, or should I not use this route?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back and I am glad that Chrome is faster with your Hotmail.Indeed, the initial problem was caused by Internet Explorer.Next, regarding Mail, I suggest that you do not use it as it is not a stable email system. I suggest that you use a free email program that is well maintained and feature rich. If you are open to this suggestion, then I recommend using Thunderbird.Please download and install Thunderbird and add your Hotmail account there.Here is the link:https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/Thunderbird is compatible and well tested in Windows 10 and I am sure your Hotmail will work without any issues there.Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****'ll just stick to opening it in Chrome - Thanks for your hrlp
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,Thank you for writing back.Yes, you can use your Hotmail with Chrome without any issues. Chrome is faster and you can always add or install email clients like Thunderbird if you have several emails since that will be one place where you can fetch and manage your emails in several accounts.I hope I was able to help.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess