Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

Having trouble setting up an email account in outlook,

Customer Question

Hi, Having trouble setting up an email account in outlook, get the following error message:
The action could not be completed, the name cannot be matched to a name in the address book
please can you advise,
thanks,
Barry
Category: Software
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your email setup. Let me know the outlook version you are tying to setup your email on.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
outlook 2016
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It seems a problem local to my PC, I can setup the account fine on other PC's
let me know which email you are trying to setup, hotmail, gmail etc.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Microsoft exchange
let me know the last part of your email address example @comcast.net or @yahoo.com.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
@ippharma.com
Do you have to the server info?you said you setup the email on other pc fine what is the error you get on the problem computer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the error as mentioned in my initial email is:The action cannot be completed, the name cannot be matched to a name in the address book,Thanks,
I can get it fixed after i check your system let me know so that i can send you a remote assistance tool.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, can do this now
Click here
How Remote Desktop WorksAgree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please can you first tell me how you will resolve the problem, what needs to be changed, what is the fix?
i will have to check the pc setting and your firewall.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what PC setting precisely and why the firewall? Other email accounts on this PC work fine.
Remote Connect Service - Quick ResolutionRemote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($45). I am not charging you to check the problem however i can give you instructions after i check where the problem is.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not wish to pay extra for remote access, please advise how you are going to fix this problem or I will require a refund
I said it has a charge as its an additional service however i am not charging you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Not entirely happy to have someone remote access into my PC, please could you ask me to check where I need to check and I can tell you what I find? thanks
I will open this question to other experts for there views and input.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This error usually refers to an issue with your username and that it has not been created on the server.
Who is actually managing this mail server for you?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not sure that is correct, the email can be set up in Outlook on other PC's fine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, I am indicating the most common cause for this error, its not the only cause, just the most common.
When you ad it on another PC, your doing it as an exchange account?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
this other PC is at the same location your at now?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Do you have it working with outlook 2016 on another computer or an older version of outlook?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
an older version, however, I had it working on this PC (outlook 2016) previously but deleted the original account and since then I am having problems reinstalling the account, I think it is an issue with Outlook - what do you think? I have other email accounts working fine on this PC (outlook 2016).
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
the error means it is connecting to the exchange server, but can't find your mailbox. If it was outlook it should give a different error, but we will try a repair of outlook.
Can you go to Control Panel, uninstall a program, click on Office, click change, then Repair and choose online repair
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you can then add the account please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
will this just repair outlook?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
It repairs Office, which will include outlook.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, just doing this now
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
as part of the repair, seems to be installing office, I have previously tried this fix, i.e.uninstall office and then reinstall, any advice?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
let it finish the repair then tell me please if the account adds as we need to let this complete.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I have reinstalled office, and tried setting up the email account and after a long wait I still get the same error, please could you advise.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Can you install an older version of outlook on that computer and tell me if that connects please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have an older version, or can you let me know how I can do that? thanks B
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
With an installation disk.
you indicated at that location you had another computer with an older version of outlook installed, so use that version. You need to use the disk that office came on with that,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately, I don't have install disks for outlook - my other PC came with office/outlook preinstalled, is there any other fix, if I google the error it suggests changing settings to do with the global address book etc. I don't know how to do this, any help greatly appreciated
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
No, thats for when the nae is not actually being found, you do that on the server but as for this account it is working on other computers, this is not the issue. Its why I asked if it works on other computers.
Which version of windows are you using?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
8.1
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Press the windows key + X and click on Control Panel.
Then search in the top right for Mail and click on it.
Then click Show Profiles. Click New and tell me if you can in this profile, add the account.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its strange, I had this email account up and working on this pc fine, but deleted it and since then I've not been able to add it again, other email accounts work fine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have tried that and unfortunately still can't add this account doing that
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, follow the instructions here to create a new account
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8
Then restart this computer and sign into this new account and tell me within this new account if you can create it in outlook.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Richard, just set up a new user account and tried setting up the email account and it still doesn't do it? Any ideas? thanks B
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Can you try using a different email account and tell me if it works with that one please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, I can set up a different exchange email account in this new user account
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, then it has to be something on the mail server, this confirms it and we have ruled everything else out.
Who manages the exchange server?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
fasthosts, but remember, I can run this email account on a separate PC perfectly fine, so doesn't that mean the server is ok? Apologies if I am not understanding.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
If you can sign in with one account but not another then the computer is ok, else it would have this issue for every account.
You may be connecting on the other computers via pop and not exchange, or an issue with your account.
Shy of reinstalling windows there is no additional steps on the computer, can you contact them and have them check your account on the server please. Inform you cannot add it but can add another Fasthost account no problem.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I am connecting on the other computer via an exchange email account, contacting the MS server folk will take sometime, how do I reconnect with you?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
You can post a message back here, like you are doing now, there is no time limit on this.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
your welcome
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Richard, not heard back from fasthosts, anything else we could try?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
We need to wait for them to check it out. As your computer works fine with another exchange account it all points to the server / account as the issue.
Did you call them?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, waiting to hear back.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, id call them again to check
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Richard, still not sure about the server being the problem, if the same email account works on another PC doesn't this mean the server and the server settings are ok and that it is something with outlook on this specific machine related to this specific email account? Sorry if I am not understanding.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Outlook has been reinstalled, plus it works on another account, as you indicated this.
The next step is to install windows, if you wish to do this, we can, just let me know.
Though as another account works on this PC, and as we have reinstalled outlook, I don't believe its the solution and is an issue with the account and how outlook 2016 works with it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, lets wait for fasthosts, how would I reinstall windows 8.1?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
After you back up the data off the computer
on the log in screen, hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC. This returns the PC to new, so you can set it up again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this I what Microsoft say about the error I am gettinghttps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd439366(v=exchg.80).aspxhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/297801I don't understand it, do you?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
yes, it is the first thing I said.... and is a fault on the server hence why your calling them.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
apologies, but clear now, thanks B
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
its ok :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, if it is a server issue and something on the server needs amending, how will a reinstall on my PC sort the problem? The problem with the server will still remain?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, we also went over this a couple of times now.
Would you like a different expert? Its not problem, I just feel you do not have much trust in what I am saying as we do go over these same points a few times.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if you could just explain the last point again i'll be ok and happy to proceed with your advice
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Though as another account works on this PC, and as we have reinstalled outlook, I don't believe its the solution and is an issue with the account and how outlook 2016 works with it. Hence why I am having you contact the provider.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Richard,Hope all is well. Not been able to fix this as yet, fasthosts have been slow getting back to me, they have suggested I do below but not sure how I can do this?Thanks for contacting us with your support enquiry.I hope you are well. I am sorry for not getting back to you quickly. I have taken over this ticket as the previous adviser is currently not available. First of all, please accept my sincerest apologies for all the trouble and difficulties you have been having. I have done some research regarding your concern and I can see that this is an Outlook issue rather than a server issue from our end. If you are able to send and receive fine from our Outlook Web Application then that just means our server is working.I found that this is a common issue with Outlook, regardless of what version it is. I found a fix for this issue and this has worked already with other Outlook users. I'm providing the steps below on how to fix this below. Please send me a reply if this has worked on your end.1. Login to your exchange server.2. Open adsiedit.msc (start --> run --> adsiedit.msc)3. Navigate to DC=YOURDOMAIN --> CN=Users --> and this is the trick, right click on a user that isn't having a problem and go to properties.4. Find the attribute "showInAddressBook" and click remove then copy what pops up in the form field and then click cancel.5. Now save that in a notepad file.6. Go to the user that is having a problem and remove that same attribute and replace it with what you copied in the notepad file.Save that forever so you never have to look up a good user again. And it will look like this.CN=Default Global Address List,CN=All Global Address Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=GearHost,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=DOMAIN,DC=MEH
Best regards,Vernon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Fasthosts also suggested below:You can login by going to the inbox of the email address in question. Just follow the steps provided in the previous email. The steps provided was found in an article and these steps are not from fasthosts directly and I am recommending that step since many outlook users have found it to be effective and fixed their issue.http://www.mikesaysmeh.com/how-to-fix-the-action-cannot-be-completed-the-name-cannot-be-matched-to-a-name-in-the-address-book-in-microsoft-exchange-while-setting-up-a-mailbox-in-outlook/
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, its a pity he sent you this as it shows he is not even reading about the issue and just posting the first thing he found on Google without reading or understanding the instructions.
You see the first step
Login to your exchange server.
The Exchange server is on their location, its the actual mail server you can not log into it, as your not the administrator of it, nor should you be as you could effect and view every mail user of Fashosts...
I really think its time you consider leaving them.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Richard, I am pushing them for a better answer but very slow. I my have time later this week (as a last resort) to reinstall windows 8.1 on my machine, how would I do this?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
as its the server thats the issue, and as you see this yourself as the problem is on multiple machines, not just this one, that would just be a waste of time.
We talked about that but if your really adamant to do it then on the log in screen, hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC. This returns the PC to new, so you can set it up again.
I also ask please that for now you rate my service, as I can only keep repeating that the issue is on the server, and whilst I am willing to repeat this every so often when they push this problem back to you, I have put in a lot of effort to confirm this and it would be appreciated to do the rating, which will Not close off this question.
You do that via one of the smiley faces then submit.