Cris
Cris, Computer Expert
Experience:  I have 10 years covering all types of software. Backup software, Office, photo and video editing, online software.
10156100

I have an Acer Aspire E1-510, working on Windows 8.1. It came

I have an Acer Aspire E1-510, working on Windows 8.1. It came with Windows 8 pre-loaded, and I upgraded to 8.1 just after I bought it (new) in 2013. 2 days ago it crashed just after I had let it do some Windows-recommended repairs.
Since then, it will not boot to Windows. I have been trying to repair it using a Windows 8.1 USB repair disk I had created earlier - and which worked in a similar situation that happened last year. I have tried almost all the options available on the repair disk, but nothing it does works so far.
I think the hard disk is not dead, because I can see the indicator light flickering as it is queried. So it may be a software problem - and the feedback error messages indicate the problem might be corrupted Windows start up files.
Today I also tried to get it to boot with a Windows 8.1 installation USB stick I created from a Microsoft website download. The USB disk starts to boot, but from the first screen it shows, it seems to want to just install Windows, rather than to boot up the laptop, so I haven't gone any further with it.
I live in rural Mozambique, so am quite isolated. There are no computer techs who I trust resident within probably 200 miles, and probably much further.
I (stupidly) have not backed up for 6 months and my first priority is to get my data files copied - if that is possible. Second priority is to try to get the machine working again.
Can anybody help please?
Category: Software
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris. Sorry to hear about your issue. It appears you have tried a couple different remedies to fix your Windows operating system. At a certain point windows becomes unrepairable for couple seasons. The hard drive having bad sectors, virus, or corrupted boot up files. The good thing in your case is that the drive has not completely crashed which means the file structure is still intact and accessible. Even though you have not done a backup you can still recover your data. It will require a tool called IDE/SATA to USB adapter. You will need to remove the hard drive from the PC and plug the adapter to the drive then to an open slot on another PC. You can then navigate through the file structure and copy all of your data. Then you will need to reinstall Windows on the PC and you can load your data back. I know maybe this not the exact answer you were looking for but this is your best option at this point to recover your data and get your PC working again. Please reply back to me with any further questions, I will be glad to answer them. Please take the time to rate my service and submit.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Here is the link for the adapter I mentioned. http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458056706&sr=8-1&keywords=ide%2Fsata+to+usb
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I just wanted to follow back up with you and see if you had any further questions for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cris. Many thanks for your response. It looks like it could work - if I could get hold of the tool - but in my isolated location it will be hard or impossible to get the adaptor in less than a month or two. Are there any alternatives? Ray
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
If you have a second tower you might be able to insert the drive as a secondary drive. But to be honest this is really your only alternative is to remove the drive and get it connected to another PC to recover your data. I would highly recommend doing this because if for some reason the drive is damaged eventually it will then stop working and your data will be lost. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Again Cris. Many thanks for your follow up. You mentioned re-installing Windows on the hard disk. If there are bad sectors on the hard drive, will the new installation avoid those sectors?
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
A reinstall repairs the bad sectors when you format the drive before reinstalling windows.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Any further questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cris. Many thanks for the help. Ray
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome. If you have a new questions please save my direct profile link to reach me directly. http://ITCrisAnswers.com