chrisaw
chrisaw, DevOps Manager
Experience:  DevOps Manager with over 10 years experience in the DevOps and IT field.
58355812

On opening computer, having typed in the password, the following

On opening computer, having typed in the password, the following message appears.
"The User Profile Service failed the logon" and the machine is frozen.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ken, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please tell me which version of Windows are you using? Is it Vista, 7, 8 or 10?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vista
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess,
The computer was running on Vista.Ken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess,
Did you get my emailed answer, sent two hours ago.
Kedn Walker
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.
Hi.. It seems like Jess is offline. Would you like me to assist you with this issue? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kamel,
Yes please - I am anxious to access data on my computer.Ken
Reboot your computer, and repeatedly press F7 key until you see advanced boot menu. When you see it, choose safe mode and press enter. Let me know once you've done this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kamil,
Thanks for email - have tried as suggested but no response.
Am going to my bed now, 11.15, will check again in the morning, Sunday.Thanks,Ken W.
No worries. Let me know. This will take a couple of tries back and forth.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am the person that will be helping you today. Please, follow the instructions below:- Turn the computer off- Turn the computer on- Start pressing the F8 key on the top of the keyboard- At the Boot menu, choose Last Known Good Configuration- Hit the Enter key three times- The computer will reboot and your problem will be gone. I look forward to your next message below or your rating on the top of this page (choosing of number of Stars and clicking the Submit button)Please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.Thank you again, - Jason P.S. If you do not know the answers to any of my questions or are confused about something, please let me know by replying on this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KamilAnwar1Am now back and hope to hear from you.***** *****.
I am here. Can you reboot the laptop, and as soon as it starts rebooting repeatedly tap and press f8 key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KamilAnwar,
Have tried both your and Jason's instructions.
With Jason's I got into the Advanced Boot Menu, followed instructions but after inserting Password ***** to the original problem.
With your suggestion re F8 did not get anywhere and am still left with the original message "profile failed"
Ken W.
Follow Jason's steps, and when you hit the F8 key to get to advanced boot menu, choose Safe Mode. After you enter Safe Mode, type your password ***** you should be able to log in. Once you are logged in, let me know and i'll then send the next set of steps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry guys but I'm not reaching the advancved boot menu.
The trick lies in pressing F8 repeatedly and quickly, and continuously when you see the first screen even before the windows logo screen and until you get to the advanced menu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have entered advanced menu!!! Entered Safe Mode. Long list of Windows files ran through screen. Screen now blank. Password ***** - entered password ***** User Profile Service failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other suggestions ???
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. You seem to be in a bit of a bad spot , because your user profile service is failing, but I'm assuming you only have one user account/profile currently setup on the computer. So, you can't login at all, until you either create another account, and then possibly fix the other profile, which you'll likely be able to do once you login. I'd recommend getting access to another computer with a CDRW drive. Then, check out the video link below. This video shows you how to create a new account by downloading and burning a special boot cd called Hirens boot CD. After you create the CD on another computer, you can use it on your problem computer to boot with (usually press F12 for boot menu or wait for prompt). Once it's loaded , follow the steps in the video to create a new admin account. Then, reboot, and login with the newly created account. You can then use your computer with that account and/or fix your old account. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfU7TkDYqug Please remember to rate my time and help before you leave. I continue to help both before and after rating.
Expert:  chrisaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ken, It looks to me like the problem here is that you have a corrupted user profile which in its self is not a big problem. The problem is - you can't login with another account to fix it. In order to work around this - could you go back in to safe mode, then hold the window key and press R. That should pop up a "Run" dialog box. In there please enter: cmd That will open up a new "Command Prompt" window, in there you can enter:net user administrator /active:yes That should say "The command completed successfully." If so - restart your computer as normal and log in with the Administrator user (which should have a blank password ***** default so it should just log right in.) Once you are logged in with that account download and run the following Microsoft FixIt file: http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/5/835F2498-8231-429B-BA95-BF2C8C2E86F2/MicrosoftFixit50446.msi Once that completes - log out of administrator and try again to login to your existing user account. Please let me know how this goes and I'll keep an eye out for your response.
chrisaw, DevOps Manager
Experience: DevOps Manager with over 10 years experience in the DevOps and IT field.