chrisaw
chrisaw, DevOps Manager
Experience:  DevOps Manager with over 10 years experience in the DevOps and IT field.
58355812

WHM cPanel EximI have a customer who has moved from a

Customer Question

WHM cPanel EximI have a customer who has moved from a managed dedicated hosted server to an unmanaged hosted server. they have an application that sends emails as part of its functions but emails going to the same email domain as the user are failing. I think its because there is a UTM device blocking the emails as they do not come form a valid email domain. I am looking for a way to change the default email domain WHM uses. I am completely new to WHM and cPanel, but I have been taking a look and feel it may be something to do with the Exim configuration? Baby steps required on this one although I wil lbe able to give you accurate information.
Category: Software
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.Sorry for the long wait time..I have a question about "but emails going to the same email domain as the user are failing" and if you can give me an example. SO i can understand the logic you are expressing..I understand there is an APPLICATION running on a UNMANAGED server, and it is configured to send emails based on a set of user specific rules.But, let me have your example to make sure i am FULLY vetting this issue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Basically, there is a PHP site that within its functions has the ability to email pdf's to a typed email address. Let's call the organisation 'contoso' at this stage. If a staff member of contoso logs into the PHP application (called PA FINDER), and selects to email a pdf, if they send that email to***@******.***, the UTM device rejects it with an error. (A similar error to the one I attached).
Now, I think this in coincidence and all the UTM is actually dong is highlighting the fact that the email is not coming from an authorised email domain. This PA FINDER worked on the old host, a full cpanel migration was performed to the new host but there have been one or two teething issues. This being one. The domain sending the email and therefore being rejected, is contoso.live-servers.net. I don't know if this should be referencing an MX/Dns record or the IP address of the exchange server as I am at a loss as to how cpanel/whm handles these requests.
Once I am satisfied that I am dealing with an expert who is familiar with whm and cpanel, I'd be happy to show a remote session explaining my findings and giving examples.
Whitelist the domain in the UTM..The server migration.....im assuming changed its physical location, and therefore its public IP. Domain names dont change.....however the MX records on the DNS WOULD change, as the DNS must be updated with the NEW public IP address.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
This really does require knowledge of cpanel and whm.
Expert:  chrisaw replied 7 months ago.
Hi Paul, It sounds like there may be two things at play here: - The domain is likely setup as a local domain instead of a remote domain for mail delivery. The way cPanel/WHM handles this is simply by having two files /etc/localdomains and /etc/remotedomains. In order to correct this issue you would simply move the domain from /etc/localdomains to /etc/remotedomains - that should take care of that problem. - If there are still delivery issues you should be able to correct those by fixing the SPF record of the email to include the FQDN of the new server. Hopefully I haven't misunderstood your question there and this resolves your problem. If you are still having problems please do follow-up and I'll see what we can do to get to the bottom of it. I did work in a cPanel/WHM hosting environment for a few years so am confident in diagnosing and correcting these types of problems. :) Thanks! Christopher
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

HI Christopher,

Thanks for this... in my rapid and steep learning curve, I did end up thinking this is one of the places that I may need to make the change, although I had no idea where to create the files and what they should look like.

It appears that the problem was that the WHM environment was configured with a temporary setup, ready to take the migration from another cPanel configuration. The Hostname needed to be changed AFTER the migration had taken place. So there was some tweaking with modules and we also set the domain as a Remote Mail Exchanger, but this made no difference until we changed the Hostname.

Thanks for your reply, and at least you started on the right lines so I'm confident we would have got there should I not have found the culprit already!