Martin
Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

I have questions relating to Microsoft Small Basic. What I

Customer Question

I have questions relating to Microsoft Small Basic. What I need is a full manual, the "Introducing Small Basic" manual" supplied with the download only covers the basics, eg it does not explain how to read or write to external files. Can you help?
Category: Software
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello David and welcome.You can obtain the manual here:https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/0/6/90616372-C4BF-4628-BC82-BD709635220D/Introducing%20Small%20Basic.pdfRegarding the actual programming, you would have to create a new question under the Programming category, so you can receive one-on-one help with the actual code.Please reply using the box below.Regards,Martin
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
There is a page here with syntax examples on what you need:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16374.small-basic-curriculum-lesson-3-1-file-input-and-output.aspxIf you have any doubts or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you could take a moment to click on one of the green stars at the top to rate me for my time, it would be greatly appreciated!Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.Regards,Martin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin,
thanks for your reply. I have looked at the link you gave me. It seems to deal with text files. My problem concerns a file of numbers that I want to read into an array (which I would specify in a program) on which I can then do arithmetical operations. The background to this is a web site of mathematical problems called Project Euler (if you haven't heard of it, you should google it). There are various problems that are based on external files; I've been able to read them into a spreadsheet but this does not give me ability to logically manipulate the contents
David
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You'd have to ask a specific question on how to read from a text file into an array under the Programming category of our website but this page contains something similar to what you mentioned:https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6f1cb0c0-c896-4f4e-b67f-03f410ee0150/read-a-file-into-a-multi-dimensional-array?forum=smallbasic
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
What you want to do is read from the spreadsheet then use the contents of the array in a mathematical calculation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You should ask in the programming section but I found a page that may give you examples of how to use math with arrays:http://smallbasic.com/program/?FCL390
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin
I think you have given me as much as you can. I will peruse the links that you have mentioned and my be able to resolve my problem. If I need any further help I will ask in the programming section. How much did this cost me?
David
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,Sorry I couldn't give you more concrete info on this regarding small basic, I do some programming myself but never touched *basicI don't have access to billing info, questions usually range between $36 and $42You can ask billing here:ww2.justanswer.com/contact-usKind Regards,Martin