Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

I have had to reinstall office 365. Ms Outlook is working

Customer Question

I have had to reinstall office 365. Ms Outlook is working fine but I am unable to restore my address book. I have tried the usual route to no avail. can you help?
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Exactly how did you backup your Address book before reinstalling Outlook?

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to have a remote tech support, but are you asking for a further £28.00?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is an additional cost as it is an additional service, but it is optional else we continue here via messaging.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I am hard up! so will continue with this method. In answer to your question I backed up on to an exterior hard drive and have copied into 'My Documents'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, but you backed it up into a PST file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, click then on File, Choose Import from another program or file, and then click Next.

Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.

Browse to your PST file and select it, then select to import contacts.

Let it complete and the contacts will then be added from the file to your address book

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the last stage I get the notice - 'Outlook date file (.PST) is already in use in the current profile'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It seems your selecting the wrong PST file, navigate to your external hard disk and select it from there please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that a couple of times with the same result
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ill connect to your computer at no extra charge and check the issue as it is very strange.

Can you go to www.teamviewer.com

Click on Download in the middle of the page

Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect