Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

What is error code 0x85050041? now I cannot get into an up

What is error code 0x85050041? For days now I cannot get into an up to date version of Hotmail/outlook even if I go to the log on page via google...
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Which version of outlook are you using?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure how I identify which version???
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Open it and you see a ?

Click on it and click about and it will tell you there

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now cant open it at all as my computer wont bring up the icon. cant find the settings on my mobile version...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Aha... version 17.6868.41111.0... my computer got over its sulk.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Please do the following

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer. Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has. Than tell me if it synchs please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, got all the way to 'y' for checking next time the system restarts. Do I just click on restart now?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Yes please, then restart and tell me if you still have the issue or not please.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Systems Specialist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It has just finished restarting and finally synched my email up to date. Can also log in via the main log in... All good. Thanks.