Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12 years in operations at a large law firm supporting both retail and specialty applications.
13274453

I recently did a Restore on Windows10 and lost some Updates

I recently did a Restore on Windows10 and lost some Updates and files.I cannot do any Downloads to recover them. Each time I try, I get a popup saying.: This programme cannot start because of missing files; It quotes,C:\Windows\Win sxs\x86-microsoft.Windows.common-controls_6595 b 64144 ccf 1 df_5.82.10586.0_none_811 bc 0006 c 44242b\COMCTL 32.dll.Help.
Category: Software
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

That error is caused by corruption in the file system.

To repair errors

Right-click the start button and select

Command Prompt (Admin)

A black window will open.

Type:

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times a number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Once Window is back up, right-click on the taskbar and open Task Manager.

Click File>>Run New Task

Put a checkmark in the box labeled: "Create this task with administrative privileges"

In the text area type: powershell and click OK

At the blinking prompt on the blue screen enter: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

After a few minutes the progress bar will jump to 20% and appear to stall. It is still working.

Once it completes restart the computer and check if the error has been corrected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As an 82 year old, just starting on computing, I will give this a go. Heres hoping
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Let me know. After entering the commands and pressing Enter the computer will do the rest of the work.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Let me connect to you.

From your computer, please click the link below (after reading this). On the page that opens after you click the link below, click the green I Agree button toward the bottom of the page, and the connection download will begin. When the file has downloaded (Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client) select Run or Open. If Windows asks, Allow changes to be made. When the file has loaded we should be connected.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=af7ae8af-1fef-48b2-8fbf-ff239760eec2