Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Software Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

I have a dell laptop inspiron e5430. I need to install

Customer Question

I have a dell laptop inspiron e5430. I need to install windows 7 pro onto it agajn. I have the original product key. When i go onto microsofts website to download it u have to enter the product key to verify to get the download it gives an error saying please ise manufacturers recovery discs to install windows again which i dont have. How can i download windows iso file and enter the product key during setup?
Category: Software
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 1 year ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will try to help you as quick possible.

The key you are entering at the Microsoft website, is a so called "OEM" key, it´s supplied by the manufacturer of your Laptop and hence Microsoft won´t let you download the ISO, since you should use the recovery disks that were provided with your PC. Do you possibly have them somewhere?

Also, do you want to do a complete fresh install of Windows 7 or retain your files and settings and just make a repair of Windows 7? I want to find out the reason why you want to install Windows 7 again, so that I can effectively help you.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to do a complete fresh installation of windows 7. I dont have the discs anywhere.

Thanks for letting me know, it is possible, but involves some extra steps. First off, I would like to know if you have done a Windows 7 installation ever before, so that I know which "level" I have to communicate with you (e.g., are you a computer beginner or a advanced user that already installed Windows several times)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done windows 7 installation before. Im an advanced user.

OK, very good, just a moment please and I get you the Windows 7 Pro ISO. I am sure you know how to burn an ISO to a DVD then?

And just to make sure, is it Windows 7 Pro 32 bit or 64 bit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep. Will use the usb to boot from i can also do that.

OK, great to work with a advanced user:) Is it the 32bit or 64bit edition that you will need?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
64 bit please. Thanks

OK, give me a few minutes and I´ll have it for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cheers

Here you are:

http://95.211.174.231/Softlay.net/Windows_7_64-bit_Professional_x64.iso

This already has SP1 included as well, but you´d still need to download all the latest updates once it is installed.

If you need further help with anything related to the current question, please just reply again and I will help you further on. That involves no additional costs for you. If I already was able to help you, I would very happy about a positive rating (3 to 5 stars at the right top, then press "submit"), because only then I get paid by JustAnswer with a part of your already accomplished payment, which mediated your question to me as an independent expert.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Just to make sure: does the download work for you as intended?

Should it be to slow, I can also get you another location which might be faster.

Please also be aware that it will use the key in your Laptops UEFI. You knew that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That site is very slow on download the software. Have u any alternative website for speedy download? I have a 200mb fibre internet is only done 15mb so far. Any suggestions. Cheers

No problem, give me a minute.

They are making it very hard these days to find the ISO, because they want everyone to upgrade to Windows 10. Let´s do not cancel your download for now please, I am still looking for another source.

Meanwhile, please be so kind to give me a rating for my work done so far, that would be much appreciated. We can of course continue our communication afterwards still.

If it is to slow again, just let me know and I will look again what else I can find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be honest i hate windows 8 and 10 they cannot beat the layout and the ease of using windows 7

Absolutely, I´d never touch Windows 10, but 8.1 is perfect technology-wise "under the hood". I´ve then customized it to the bone, it looks like XP here, but with the speed of 8.1 ;)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this one is slow aswell

I hate all the fancy graphic stuff and it´s hard to rip out from Windows 10, but works well with 8.1 (try ntlite.com if you don´t know it, it can rip out everything you do not want prior to the installation, also for Windows 7).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
il try ntlite. do u have any other tweaks or good softwares to use? how about diagnosing a pc fully? ultimatebootcd good to use? and also what anti-virus softwares do u recommend
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im also trying to learn linux after windows installation im going to install virtualbox and run ubuntu on it

I personally love (for heavily improved speed):

www.eboostr.com (once it learned your activity, your PC is blazing fast and gets faster and faster as it keeps on learning)

http://windowsmatters.com/2016/05/13/gandalfs-windows-10pe-x64-threshold-2-build-10586-version-05-13-2016/ is the best boot DVD in my opinion, has everything and since it uses Windows PE to boot, all your devices and even WIFI will be there.

www.kaspersky.com "Total Security", download the 30 day trial and then purchase a license for it on eBay, comes at just ~8 pounds there, compared to buying from Kaspersky with about 40 pounds:)

http://www.vbox.me/ Virtual Box is great, but no need to install it and mess up your system with all the services it installs, just use that portable version of it :)

In addition to Eboostr: make sure to cache in RAM only, not on another HD. And of course, the more RAM you assign to it, the better! But make sure your system has enough RAM and that it is not all used up, because then it will be slow again of course because Windows needs to swap to the disk (check with Taskmanager how much is fine for you when you use your "most heavy" programs, then assign the free RAM amount to eBootr)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no probs mate. thanks for all the advice really appreciate it. Lastly anywhere good to learn ubuntu and linux/unix server?sorry for being a pain

You are not, great if it helps:) Is the download going fine and fast now?

Well, Ubuntu has a good Wiki over here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

Personally I´d recommend Manjaro instead, extremely fast distribution and very Windows-alike + steady updates, no need to reinstall each time there is an update, like with some Ubuntu versions:

https://manjaro.github.io/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep its downloaded just mounting onto usb.

Nice:) Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
little problem

Tell me:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says files copied sucessfully However we were unable to run bootsect.exe to make the USB device bootable. ive used microsoft USB/DVD download tool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry just says bootsect not bootsect.exe

Yea, I thought that this could happen, can you burn a DVD instead? Otherwise it´s getting a bit more complicated with Windows 7 on a USB-stick.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i could but need to buy a dvd. how about using rufus or another software to mount to usb or would that cause same problem?

Rufus will not work with that, because of the several reboots required during the installation, but you can try:

http://www.winsetupfromusb.com/downloads/

Does it work now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cheers ***** ***** and running and activated. thanks ever so much for your help. will write a review.

Thank you for the kind words, that makes me very happy! :) If you have any questions in the future and want to request me directly, please enter them in the format "For expert ComputerVauck ONLY: Question ......." at the following site:

http://www.lorenzvauck.com/

It´s best if you bookmark the site directly in your browser.

I wish you a great time and remain until next time with best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi buddy back again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive been trying to do windows update but nothing is happning it just keep and searching thats it. any clues?

Hi my friend,

nice to see you back, it would be a pleasure to help you again, but you´d have to open up a new question about this new issue and request me directly there via

http://www.lorenzvauck.com/

For now though, since it might be easy: if this is the first time you are updating Windows 7 after the installation, just wait, it can take up to 5(!) hours for it to finish the search for updates, since it has to check a couple of thousand of those, which can take that long. If this does not help and it still does not work after 5 hours, I really would need you to open up a new question, so that I can take a closer look.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck