Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

Windows 10 on bootcamp, slow browsing, ok on mac

Customer Question

windows 10 on bootcamp, slow browsing, ok on mac
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there John and welcome

When you say slow browsing, you mean the internet browser is loading pages very slowly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
extremly slowly. the timer just keeps going round and round, sometimes the page does not load
If I run speedtest I get 1-2 mbs but on the mac its 15 to 16
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't mind you connecting to my Mac if you think you can fix it.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Right click the start button and click on command prompt (admin)

Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart the computer and check how it now performs please.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, done the restart and it seems much better, is this something I will have to do in the future?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

It can happen on windows, its when the IP Stack is full and needs clearing

If it slows down, then you can just repeat this again

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Systems Specialist.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard,
I went to leave you a tip and the slow response came back logging into Paypal. Tried another page and did lots of browsing and that seems OK????
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

It is possible paypal was slow at the time

any other pages have issues?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard, mostly seems OK but got the 'page cant be loaded' I will see how I get on many thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, let me know if it becomes an issue please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the sites which are buffered load immediately but if I try a new site I get the slow response and message site can't be reached
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

try to restart it again please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
done the restart, seems to be certain sites, one was diy.com which seems really slow........
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

which internet browser are you using?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
google chrome
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do I need to change?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Try internet explorer, how does that work?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ive tried microsoft edge, that gives same results, first time you visit a site it takes a long time, After it seems ok
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, press the windows key + R and type in

%temp%

Press enter

Delete all files listed there, skipping any files windows says are in use.

Once done, restart and tell me how it now functions please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There were 2 files which were in use by Chrome which I skipped the delete???
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

yes that;s ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Done that and I am getting immediate response, will keep trying and report back later, thank you Richard
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard,
Went to browser this morning and google home page took 15-20 seconds to load and then same to load justanswer page.
It definitely seems to be first use now, after that they work great. John
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, can you do the following please within windows

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me how it operates please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard
Done all that, still having problems, loading your website was very slow, said site cant be reached and then after a few more seconds it appeared. Sometimes my bookmarked websites all work real quick and then I go for another site and get the same problems again.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
just tried to run banwidthplace.com speed checker and it does not get past the pinging stage????
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
bandwidthplace.com
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

but on the Mac it is ok correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try it now.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard,
tried the Mac side and browsing is fine. Also checked speed on an Ipad and that is OK too.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, I would advise then to do a reinstall of windows in Bootcamp as we have done all repair options for this now.

So to remove the image and reinstall it again

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Problem is that the Windows upgrade to 10 is no longer available. I have 8.1
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, you would have to purchase the upgrade or remain at 8 unfortunately, as we have exhausted all the repair options.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As things are a lot better than they were I will stick with it, thanks for all the help, John
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

your welcome John

-Richard