Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Systems Specialist.
32989067

I am sending e-mails to SW from my outlook account. These go

I am sending e-mails to SW from my outlook account. These go to various people in SW and the same e-mail goes to other companies. All the e-mails to other companies are received but some of the e-mails to Scottish Water are not being received. SW say this may be a "local profile issue" but it does not make sense to me if others receive them.
They say I should contact everyone in Sw I send e-mails to and ask them to "white list request". Can you help?
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

The emails that are not delivered, do your receive an undeliverable report after 48 hours saying it failed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, then it is being blocked on their end, it will likely be due to their anti spam software. If this was not the case you would be getting back on of these reports.

Have them add your email to their whitelist and this will then allow it to go through

Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been on to them and they say it would not matter as they are not receiving them. However some people are!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

yes... please allow m a few minutes to type my responses Kevin

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, and I know this is a bad situation to be.... but they are incorrect here.

The reason is as such

First - People do get the emails so you know it is working

second- if it failed to send, outlook would tell you this via the unable to send message

Third - if it never reached them, you would get an undelivered report, it is one of the failsafes built into email.

Make a new account here as a test and send them an email. I made it from Gmail to avoid any outlook wide blocks they have

https://accounts.google.com/SignUpWithoutGmail?hl=en

Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Richard,This is what I told them and they asked me to individually go to people who are not getting them. It is intermittent and the worst times are Fridays wen it seems there is limited opening in their system as everyone is trying to get things sent to them on a Friday.The problem mostly is when I attach a couple of items (PDF's etc) it's when I send attachments. If it's more than 5 items I normally send by dropbox and that has a greater chance of getting through but I don't want to send everything by dropbox.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

I understand Kevin, but the issue lies on their system, it is not on your account or anything in your control.

this is not a cop out, it is the reality of the situation...

I very much doubt capacity is an issue, at the worst there would be a delay in them being received, but not receiving them at all, without a failure notice, indicates a spam block on their side or system issues which is why it's best to try with a different email account. Outside of this there is nothing directly you can do

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have more than 5 accounts that I send to Sw as this has happened every year and I end up with a new account.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

all with outlook?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
KOHConsult Hotmail, KOHConsult2Hotmail, KOHConsult3Hotmail, KOHConsultOutlook, KOHWimpey Hotmail.to name a few. I alos havea GMail account. Problem is when they send them back if they do receive they send to all different accounts.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

can you tell me what you mean with

"Problem is when they send them back if they do receive they send to all different accounts."

Please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry,Obviousley some people have recorded all my other accounts. So if I send from one account they may reply to another.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, you can forward them all to one account to avoid that issue.

But it looks like they are blocking the free domains such as outlook, gmail ect.

Your best bet is to purchase a domain from a company such as Godaddy

www.godaddy.com

Get a package with email hosting so you can create an email address under your own domain.

This way if they are blocking based on the free email services, this will get by.

If this is also being blocked, then you just need to keep creating new email addresses, or force them to add your address to their white list company wide as it is their spam service that is stopping it. But nearly all services will not block on an actual proper domain name as opposed to the free ones.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Richard, Thanks,This is a national organisation that has to receive e-mails from everyone. They can't block important communications but you are 100% correct in what you say. I worked for them for 30years and know this happened. I had set up my own domain but let it lapse as for 50 weeks of the year this does not happen. Also when sending drawings or some documentation they can be very large attachments. This was a major problem in the past but now they will accept Dropbox one drive etc. they should be able to receive everything. Any last words before I go back to them?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

only that the issue is within their system Kevin, I know this 100%, and you need to make them aware of this. Any IT department that is worth their salt would know this and all it takes it a whitelisting of your email address in their spam system to avoid the problem. It is a 10 seconds job, but then again, a lot of these departments are just not helpful which is why I think its best to go with the custom domain if you really want to get around this.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Systems Specialist.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Richard. I will rate as 5 because you answered everything perfectly. Two of my kids are computer scientists who have already said this but I needed to go independent to confirm they are correct and It's always been my understanding.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

thank you Kevin, was a pleasure working with you.